The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Timing-belt service question

Kaamos

Hi there,

I’m considering having the timing belt replaced very soon on my UK spec…..

the last time it was changed is likely to be 10 years ago so….... even with a relatively low mileage in-between….

But now I’m confused : I went to local Toy dealer, they didn’t even pop the hood open and off i drove with a £1105 estimated cost parts + labour including replacing the belt, the water pump, the coolant etc..…..

If I’m not mistaken, the water pump on the supra is not driven by the timing-belt itself but by the accessory belt, right ?(hoping I’m using the correct names in english).

So out of curiosity i went to a multi-brand workshop, they looked at the engine, saw the water pump had be changed “recently” and according to them it doesn’t need replacing, so they gave me a MUCH lower estimation : £315 for belt + coolant, without replacing the water pump.

I checked at my former service and parts bills and the water pump was indeed replaced 5,5years / 15kmiles ago

Any advise ?

Usually when you change timing belt, it is the best time to also change the water pump. When cambelt is on, you cannot get water pump off. The water pump is driven by the drive belt though, not the cambelt.

So it seems like your Toyota dealer was planning on servicing the cambelt & water pump whilst it was easiest to do so.

If water pump has only done 15'000 miles then should be ok to keep using, normally bad water pump can be seen from leaking coolant, noisy bearing etc. If you want to change water pump in future, then cambelt will have to come off.

Any part that will need to be removed to get cambelt changed is the crank pulley. If this has never been removed then you might want to put a new one on as they have a habit of splitting.