The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Automatic Transmission upgrade

dRuNk-mEdIc

So, I've done research and by next year I will have my TT. Although the manuel is going to be a bitch to find and the price as well im leaning toward the automatic. As for my car modifications im going to roll around in my supra and get used to it after a couple of months or so I'll BPU+ it and then get used to that when I feel the need for more power I will eventually put in a Greddy T78 buy suprastore.com. I contacted Suprastore and asked them hows the deal on the T78. The said,"They would drop the price $500! Im like wow. Im not in the right time for purchasing it but damn :limp: . If you want the information here it is. Greddy T78 .

Ok so when going into high #'s in an automatic transmission what would you need to upgrade??Clutch,flywheel? Im pissed because I should know this :cry: :cry: :cry:

the auto tranny is capable of about 500hp. and i think the boostlogic tranny upgrade is up to 800hp. from a few posts on supraforums ppl boosting up to 450rwhp are even breaking their boostlogic rebuilt auti tranny. to be realistic if ur getting a turbo as big as a t78, u wouldn even consider an auto. to have an auto tranny built to a boostlogic one costs and extra £2300 anyway so i think u would be better off using that money to source for a 6spd. the 6spd can handle up to 1000hp pretty well. a th400 tranny swap from a mg is meant to be quite good. some guy called daveh did the swap and is running his NA-T supe in 9.46s 1/4mile with a stock 2jzge engine.

the auto tranny is capable of about 500hp. and i think the boostlogic tranny upgrade is up to 800hp. from a few posts on supraforums ppl boosting up to 450rwhp are even breaking their boostlogic rebuilt auti tranny. to be realistic if ur getting a turbo as big as a t78, u wouldn even consider an auto. to have an auto tranny built to a boostlogic one costs and extra £2300 anyway so i think u would be better off using that money to source for a 6spd. the 6spd can handle up to 1000hp pretty well. a th400 tranny swap from a mg is meant to be quite good. some guy called daveh did the swap and is running his NA-T supe in 9.46s 1/4mile with a stock 2jzge engine.

Are you on drugs , The BL trans is one of the few holding up to big HP , mine has never given a moments trouble and i really abuse it , heres a fact for you a 6 spd will NEVER be as quick down the 1/4 as an auto a point i found easy to prove !!!! :eyebrows: and you forgot to mention how much money it is to get a DRIVEABLE clutch to take Hi HP , you think the T78 is a big turbo ???? id use it for the wifes car !!!! :eek: I suppose the BL car that just ran an 8 is a 6spd !!!! oh no its an auto !!! So Dave H is running in the 9's , if he went TH400 he be in the 8's and by the way not only is his bottom end stock its a stock NA

Dude :devil:

what do u mean if dave is running th400? he is!! anyway there have been a few posts written up on broken BL auto trannies http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=230810 and this guy is only doing 440rwhp.

i would agree that drag times are better with an auto however a stick is always much more fun esp round the track.

Sorry misread your post about Dave H's car , thought you said it was a 6 spd .

Thry may be more fun round a track but they wont be more fun stuck on the M25 for 3 hours in a jam with a heavy lightswitch type clutch .

Dude :cool:

what do u mean if dave is running th400? he is!! anyway there have been a few posts written up on broken BL auto trannies http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=230810 and this guy is only doing 440rwhp.

i would agree that drag times are better with an auto however a stick is always much more fun esp round the track.

Thats 2 transmissions out of prob 100's that they have sold and you can bet both times its 2nd gear sprag which you cant uprate , more to the point both times Kean has managed to sort it out very quickly indeed .

What you need to remember is that anything like this can fail , its put together by humans !!!!! but not only that so are the parts inside , i bet the stock Toyota trannies have failed a few times as well , strange how theres plenty of Keans boxes in Hi HP cars and it was a low HP one that failed !!!

Dude :devil: