The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice Needed

Icsea

So last month i was involved in an accident in which my supra was a cat B write off, my insurance is paying me 18k for the car, but now i am about to finish the purchase of a house with my wife and we pushed our budget to get it, and we ideally would like something in the bank for a rainy day or house renovations. She drives a 63 plate XC60 D5 and i am currently car less waiting for my settlement, her car is a huge part of her daily life as she is a care manager and spends a lot of time driving, so it would make more sense for me to not get another TT Auto, rather then her sell the volvo.

I have no idea what to get the market is getting crazy again and i honestly don't know if i could go to a NA after having a TT, i still want something Japanese and decent.

Do i bite the bullet or be sensible... the only other car i ever considered before i brought my TT supra was an Evo 8 MR but the all the expenses that come with owning one baffle me, the main killer being the £555 road tax and 4k servicing intervals, i really do want another supra but i don't want to get the NA and then start disliking it because of the lack of power and personally i don't think NA is what supras are about my TT was exciting to drive and really fun.

Sad to hear your supra was written off.

Worth keeping in mind that if you get an other supra (TT or NA) the value of your car will keep going up while anything else you get it will keep depreciating. Maybe something like an evo 8 will fall in the same bracket but I don't really know much about these.

It's about price again for the cost of NA-T I'd rather spend the extra thousand or two and get a real TT. Just don't have the money for this at the moment.

My personal choice is a tt if I was in your position. Would you have been selling the car anyway to free up some cash? if so what was your thought process before this happened as in car choice?

If i still had the car most likely no i wouldn't be selling, as my wife knows a supra is my dream car as hers is just a work horse/family car for the future, but now its arrived at this i wouldn't feel its fair forcing my hand to spend all our money on a TT, and making her sell her car. As for the thought process it was only a week after my crash that the bank told us we were getting 10k less then originally stated so it wasn't a problem before.

Edited by Icsea (see edit history)

Depends what you use it for. If its mostly for looks and cruising around, an NA will be fine :cool: If you want a spirited drive, an MR2 turbo would be a good alternative for sensible money, or if you dont mind something a bit different an S2000 or a MK1 or Mk2 MX5 with a turbo or supercharger.

GT86 or What about a cheaper Jap fun car as a temporary fix whilst you work out moving costs and keep more of that money in the bank for later. A celica or 350z maybe

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812123196134

By the way I have an ISF and at the moment I choosing to use my wife’s Legacy Spec B H6

My work colleague drives a Gt86 and it's slower then my old 51 plate celica so I would avoid them like the plague. If I spend 5k on a car now I know I'm gonna lose on the sale in future. If I had a NA and someone in a astra did me on the A30 that would be it lol...