The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheel protectors anyone ?

Kaamos

since the last thread seems to be several years old I wondered if anyone here had a recent experience with items such as alloygators, rimblades etc..... escpecially as they seem to have changed the design (alloygator).

Those are supposed to protect the wheel and also arugably ruin or enhance the look of the car in the meantime..... but they are sometimes said to also damage the wheel by either collecting crap underneath and/or marking the wheel upon removal......

I had a set of alloygators on a set of wheels once; they saved the rims a couple of times (being a careless, in the dark, in a rush etc and just brushed the kerb). Only issue, and it's a biggy, is the way they're designed to stay in place also scratches the rim.

There's a knack to fitting them properly; I spent the time and did them right, they never budged BUT they use little metal tabs to give them some purchase. These rubbed against the very inside edge of the rim, slightly under the tyre. So when they were removed, they'd caused little patches for water to get in and bubble under the powder coat.

They're also a bit water/salt/crap trap which doesn't help with the things mentioned above.

Not sure if they've improved the design since then, but this was about ~4 years ago.

thanks guys for these feedbacks, that's what I was expecting.....

Also @ dellboy, I'm about to order two sets of Michelin tyres but don't know yet about a potential built-in protector : Pilot Alpin Pa4 for the winter and Pilot Sport 4 for the summer

Good choice.

I run Michelin Alpin PA4 Winter Tyres and both Pilot Sport 4 and Super Sport Summer tyres

• 2 weeks later...

haven' recieved my summer tyres yet, may have to go for michelin unltrasport in the rear and pilot sport 4 in the front.

the winter ones, michelin alpin PA4, do iondeed have a pretty decent built-in rim protection, I'll upload some closeups if anyone's interested

haven' recieved my summer tyres yet, may have to go for michelin unltrasport in the rear and pilot sport 4 in the front.

the winter ones, michelin alpin PA4, do iondeed have a pretty decent built-in rim protection, I'll upload some closeups if anyone's interested

How come you are having different tyres front and rear ? It would be a much predictable drive and setup if you use the same tyres all around or you are going to get difference in grip.