The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension options

blackdevilcar

Hi Guys,

I've owned my supra for about 17 years, it was my daily driver for a long time, but around 7 years ago I stopped using it and put it into storage, mainly due to a few issues that it had annoying me and I didn't really have the time or money at the time to sort them out, so I just put it into storage whilst I decided what to do with it, and time just seemed to fly past.

Well, fast forward to earlier this year when I decided it was time for it to come back into the world again, it went off to SRD to have some of the more complicated jobs done, and now it is back in use, I still have some things I will be getting done over the next few months, but the main thing that is a problem for me at the moment is the suspension, which is just way to hard for me, I don't remember it being this hard when I used it all the time, but perhaps it was, and I was just younger and the roads were a little better, either way, I need to find a better solution.

It is currently on TRD Bilstein Shocks with Sard Springs, ideally I would like to keep the ride height about where it is, I don't mind if it is a little higher, but I don't want to get to stock ride height, I'm not looking to turn it into a ultimate handling car, I have other cars for that, ideally I'd like it to be a great GT car, which is really what it is supposed to be anyway, what set ups are people running and what feedback can you give me about them, any help would be appreciated, I've been out of the supra scene for so long I don't really know what direction to go in at the moment

Supra.jpg

supra 2.jpg

Chris Wilson’s fast road set up, nothing else required.

Chris can make it any ride height you want, he will do custom valving and custom spring rates. You can’t get close to what he offers with any of the off the shelf kits and you would be mad to look anywhere else in my opinion.

If you want to compliment the handling and ride of the Supra as a GT car, speak with Chris.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?54-Chris-Wilson

I thought they were crap. The ride felt vastly inferior to my previous cars, all of which have had coilovers on. I also missed having adjustable dampers.

Really? That's the first negative thing I've heard about Bilsteins. They are one of the largest if not the largest producer of OEM suspension.

What didn't you like about the set up?

What is the offset of your wheels?

What is the width and profile of your tyres?

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Really? That's the first negative thing I've heard about Bilsteins.

And what is meant by inferior? I want something soft. Mine's not going on track and every car fitted with "coilovers" I've been in has been too harsh for my liking.

Really? That's the first negative thing I've heard about Bilsteins. They are one of the largest if not the largest producer of OEM suspension.

Didn't like the way it felt. They just felt coarse compared to what I was used to.

Offset on the Supra is the TTE Borbet grandstand wheels running 245 front and 285 rear

Samdale - I felt the same as you when I'd only used Tein suspension, but every car I've owned has had a set of Meister R coilovers on. The GT-1 really are something else, more comfortable than my IS250 in normal driving and incredibly good if I stiffen them up a bit for some harsher driving. I also have some upgraded rollbars and a 1.5 way diff on my car (which were fitted when the Bilsteins were on) and it's a very pleasant driving experience.

And what is meant by inferior? I want something soft. Mine's not going on track and every car fitted with "coilovers" I've been in has been too harsh for my liking.

/QUOTE]

Providing your wheel size, tyre size and offset aren’t ridiculous, see post 5 above. Tried and tested time and time again. As bespoke as you want and you can rely on CW vast knowledge built up over years of experience.

I have just ordered my set for the new year.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't like the way it felt. They just felt coarse compared to what I was used to.

Offset on the Supra is the TTE Borbet grandstand wheels running 245 front and 285 rear

Samdale - I felt the same as you when I'd only used Tein suspension, but every car I've owned has had a set of Meister R coilovers on. The GT-1 really are something else, more comfortable than my IS250 in normal driving and incredibly good if I stiffen them up a bit for some harsher driving. I also have some upgraded rollbars and a 1.5 way diff on my car (which were fitted when the Bilsteins were on) and it's a very pleasant driving experience.

40 profile on the rear?

Sorry, forgot to add the profile. I think it's 40 on the rear but I'd have to go and check. I will say that I'm switching to lightweight wheels because I still don't like the feel of the car. This will make more difference than changing your dampers in my opinion. It certainly did when I was tuning my is300. Best mod I ever did was switch to forged wheels.

Chris Wilson’s fast road set up, nothing else required.

Chris can make it any ride height you want, he will do custom valving and custom spring rates. You can’t get close to what he offers with any of the off the shelf kits and you would be mad to look anywhere else in my opinion.

If you want to compliment the handling and ride of the Supra as a GT car, speak with Chris.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?54-Chris-Wilson

Thanks Frank,

I remember Chris Wilson from back in the day when I was using the car all the time, I've just tried to PM him but the system won't let me, I guess I need more posts before I can do that :(

German yellow bilsteins, eibach springs, and Littlenum has done sub 8 minute laps around the 'Ring' many times with that setup. I've been in his car too of course, and the way it handles is unbelievable. Don't forget it's all down to how the geometry of the car is setup up to match the suspension, and of course matching the correct springs to the dampeners.

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

German yellow bilsteins, eibach springs, and Littlenum has done sub 8 second laps around the 'Ring' many times with that setup. I've been in his car too of course, and the way it handles is unbelievable. Don't forget it's all down to how the geometry of the car is setup up to match the suspension, and of course matching the correct springs to the dampeners.
Can't believe he's managed to trim over 7 minutes off his previous best lap!!! [emoji14]

Slammed on 19" wheels with silly offsets, stretched 30 profile tyres and track-spec coil-overs; is the trendy way. ;)

Wheels with stock-offsets, stock tyre-profile, correctly-fitting tyres and a ride height within the parameters of geometry; is as (if not more) important as the choice of suspension.

Thanks Frank,

I remember Chris Wilson from back in the day when I was using the car all the time, I've just tried to PM him but the system won't let me, I guess I need more posts before I can do that :(

You need to pay your membership to enable you to Private Message but CW doesn’t know what a PM is ;)

Try phone (07971 952 084), email ([email protected]) or if all else fails Pigeon post :D

If you want to pay your membership fee go to the top right of your screen and click settings.

On the left hand side under “My settings”, then look under “My account” you will see paid subscriptions. Click on that and its a quick PayPal payment.

It’s £10 per year or £30 for life. If you pay the £10 per year once you get to £30 contact a mod and they will organise lifetime membership.

Hope that helps :)