The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Titan Motorsports in the news for the wrong reasons

Delboy52

Surprised this has take so long to hit this forum. A bit more info below from another source below.

Imagine taking your car to the mechanic, and just as you are about to pick it up, he takes it for a test drive and crashes it!

That's what happened to a Sanford man who is now embroiled in a battle to get the repairs paid for.

The Audi S-4 was Vince Hansen's pride and joy.

On November 7, he took it to Titan Motorsports in Orlando to have performance parts installed.

Two days later, when Hansen went to pick it up, he was told a technician would take it for a quick test drive while he paid the bill, but then something unexpected happened.

"The phone at the shop rang and the news was, 'Hey, we don't really know how to tell you this, but your car was just in an accident around the corner from the shop,' and I was like, 'Is this a joke?'" Hansen said.

The mechanic who was driving it struck another car while traveling on Boggy Creek Road.

According to the crash report, the mechanic was at fault and was ticketed for making an illegal U-turn.

"You know what, I wasn't angry at him, accidents happen," Hansen said.

Hansen assumed Titan Motorsports would pay for the damage, but he claims when he asked for their insurance information, he ran into somewhat of a roadblock.

"It was, 'Hey, you know, you have insurance for your car, and you should open up a claim under your policy,' and that really didn't make sense to me," Hansen said.

Hansen showed WESH 2 News a letter from his insurance company to Titan that stated the shop's operations manager has refused to provide Titan's insurance information and asking them to do so.

"I feel like I'm getting jerked around here. Your company destroyed my car under your negligence and I feel like you guys need to take care of this," Hansen said.

Nero Deliwala, the owner of Titan Motorsports, told WESH 2 News over the phone the contract Hansen signed releases Titan from responsibility for any damage that occurs when a car is in their possession.

"Our terms and conditions clearly state who's responsible for the damage. I'm completely sympathetic towards Vince and the inconvenience it's caused him. It was an accident and accidents happens," Deliwala said.

WESH 2 News showed the contract Hansen signed to attorney Hank Hornsby.

"The autobody shop can make the argument that they are not responsible to pay for those damages. Which really brings us to a consumer beware. Before you leave something at an auto body shop, be sure you know what you're signing away," Hornsby said.

Hansen sees things differently. He believes the fact that the mechanic who crashed his car was found at fault should make the contract null and void.

"We're expecting someone to take really good care of our possessions that we worked really, really hard to own and pay for, and when they don't, they should be accountable for that, not us, right?" Hansen said.

Hornsby said the lesson from this may be the age-old advice to read any contract closely before you sign it.

Hansen said he will continue his fight to get Titan Motorsports or their insurer to pay for the damage to his car.

I wasn't actually that impressed by Titan when I visited in July. Heard a few bad stories about them on the service/build side of things tbh but are seen as good for parts.

Real Street was incredible and couldn't have been friendlier. Heard a rumour they no longer do builds though?

Shame for the owner

Shocking.

I'd be surprised if anyone would leave their car at a business where they waived any liability for damage to your car caused by them whilst in their possession.

I hope they change this and obtain the correct liability insurance, otherwise their business deserves to suffer as a consequence.

• 8 months later...

Shocking way to run a business and they deserve everything they get.

Had similar, but less costly situation, myself recently.

My wife's mini convertible went in to a local garage a few units from mine for an aircon regas, the mechanic was reversing out but didn't see a car lift ramp that was at the same level as the rear screen!

Unfortunately the rear screen was broken and apparantly needed a brand new convertible roof, full respect to the garage because they arranged for a new to be fitted at their expense, no excuses. Got the aircon re-gas free and a full valet when we got it back :)

That is the customer service I expect if any damage is caused whilst in their possesion, the same customer service I offer!

I remember the old days when "Suprastore" had shitty reputation due to their customer service. They had the same address as Titan motorsports, and packages used to get sent out with Titan motorsports on the packaging. Yet Titan denied all involvement. This is just another level of shittyness though.

Shocking way to run a business and they deserve everything they get.

Had similar, but less costly situation, myself recently.

My wife's mini convertible went in to a local garage a few units from mine for an aircon regas, the mechanic was reversing out but didn't see a car lift ramp that was at the same level as the rear screen!

Unfortunately the rear screen was broken and apparantly needed a brand new convertible roof, full respect to the garage because they arranged for a new to be fitted at their expense, no excuses. Got the aircon re-gas free and a full valet when we got it back :)

That is the customer service I expect if any damage is caused whilst in their possesion, the same customer service I offer!

Shit happens in this world, a momentary laps in concentration or a stupid judgment call and stuff can go down.

But if its handled like that a bad thing has been flipped into a good thing and you come away with a positive experience in a weird way.

Sounds like a company who you'd be happy to use again, and weirdly even though they caused damage you have probably given them more good press than they would have got anyway if the job had just been done.

Alas most companies in this day and age don't seem to share that stance on handling a situation.

Exactly, accidents happen and they took full responsibility, I will use them again as they are a good garage and have been there a long time.

$#@! happens in this world, a momentary laps in concentration or a stupid judgment call and stuff can go down.

But if its handled like that a bad thing has been flipped into a good thing and you come away with a positive experience in a weird way.

Sounds like a company who you'd be happy to use again, and weirdly even though they caused damage you have probably given them more good press than they would have got anyway if the job had just been done.

Alas most companies in this day and age don't seem to share that stance on handling a situation.

/QUOTE]