The mkiv Supra Owners Club

yet another newbie...

SteveR

...'cept this one is edumacated regarding the Supra... ;)

Hi everyone!

I've been reading the threads for a few weeks now, figured it's a great site with TONS of knowledgeable people who have just as much enthusiasm as me... so I can't go far wrong in joining you all! :)

I'm not an owner *just yet* :( but would like a mkiv in my garage by the end of June. I was looking at NAs but test-drove an import TT the other day and there's no way I am getting a NA any more ;)

This means I'll be pushing myself financially - but hey, you only live once - am hoping to spend under £9k - the nearer that can be to £8k the better... I know it's not much for a TT but I've seen a few about for that amount. BTW I've checked out the what to look for when buying - as always on this site it seems to be excellent advice so thanks to one and all!!!

BTW I'm near Worcester (30 miles south of Brum) so if anyone knows of any Sups for sale nearby please let me know (no red ones! ;))

Steve

(P.S. I did wonder about sourcing a Jap auction car through an importer, but didn't lke the idea of buying something I've never seen in the metal and hadn't driven.)

Hi TerribleTurner/James :)

Thanks for the heads-up on that Supra for sale, I was very excited until I read the dreaded word.... auto. I know most Supras are autos and I know the Supra auto box is meant to be very good, but I really don't think I could do it.... I love driving and the involvement with the car that you have - including having a clutch pedal and deciding which gear (& when!!) :) If I'm going to be missing out please convince me otherwise!

BTW have you guys seen this (apologies if you have):

> It pulled a quarter mile of 8.45@162 mph when it had a measly 1200bhp!

>

> Currently it has 1520rwhp (1900bhp at crank!!!)

> http://www.phatka-t.com/Marko1491WHP.MOV

Extract is from an email my mate sent me a few weeks back, I can't check that file mov is still there but if it is it shows an insance Supra with ~1500 HP *at the wheels* (sounds like it's power band is only about 500 revs tho ;)

Steve

Yeah Marcos infamous white supra :) I believe its tuned by Sound performance in the US now, and thats one Auto that'll have tonnes of driver involvment thats for sure :D

I think you could get away with an auto supra, I know where you're coming from, you'll enjoy whatever version you chose to get.

Yeah Marcos infamous white supra :) I believe its tuned by Sound performance in the US now, and thats one Auto that'll have tonnes of driver involvment thats for sure :D

I think you could get away with an auto supra, I know where you're coming from, you'll enjoy whatever version you chose to get.

Ah yes, white... forgot about those... not white either ;)

Ideally I'd love that rich metallic blue , but I live on *this* world so I know I ain't going to be getting one of those ;-(

Are there 2 reds?? - a dullish almost burgundy and a brighter one - if so the bright one seems ok, if not whoever's (red) car I was looking at in the 'washing & polishing' thread looks *amazing* for a red one...

Re Auto, I really don't think I could do it, it's almost like it's against my religion or something! :D

BTW I'm after as stock a car as possible - not only becuase I think they are damm nice looking and fast cars in stock form but also because;

- insurance is going to be daft, I know this. However IME it tends to go up by 50% for every mod, no matter how minor :( so the less mods the better

- I want to choose how it get altered, and I can't imagine I'll be altering it much anyway

Only one shade of red, maybe you've seen just seen pics taken in different levels of light or something. Some people have used a custom candy apple red which looks superb if done correctly.

I know what you mean, it HAD to be a manual for me too :) Royal Sappire Pearl is the colour that you're after, aka blue :D

seriously dont discount the autos before you try one, i really disliked autos till i tried my first auto supe, if you use the box in manual mode it does provide a hell of a lot of driver involvement and is absoloutely superb on track :D

thanks (and to Bobbeh).

I have tried a NA auto, it _felt_ slow compared to a NA manual I treid - was I imagining that? I'd read somewhere (mkiv.com possibly) that the Auto box "robs ~60bhp compared to the manual" :-o ....true??

Please tell me more about "Manual mode" - I know you can hold it in 1st/2nd, but that's not really acting like a manual shift, so... :confused:

Argh, autos tho... I really don't think I could do it... :-/

Mmmmmm.... 6 gears.... ;)

Hi Steve and welcome to the club.

As for your Auto dilema, try and drive one if you can, I'm biased, but they are superb, don't dismiss them out of hand until you've tried one....honest.

Manuals esp UK's are harder to source for your budget, but prices are falling and if you bide your time something will come up that meets your criteria. Also it's worth getting some insurance quotes on both UK and j spec, quotes can vary by large margins.

I think I'm right in saying that all the earlier/pre-face lift Blue Supra's are Storm Blue, I believe some later VVTI's came in Sapphire Blue, which sounds like the blue you described.

If your ever near Bristol, give me a shout and I can take you for a blast in mine, good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

thanks (and to Bobbeh).

I have tried a NA auto, it _felt_ slow compared to a NA manual I treid - was I imagining that? I'd read somewhere (mkiv.com possibly) that the Auto box "robs ~60bhp compared to the manual" :-o ....true??

Please tell me more about "Manual mode" - I know you can hold it in 1st/2nd, but that's not really acting like a manual shift, so... :confused:

Argh, autos tho... I really don't think I could do it... :-/

Mmmmmm.... 6 gears.... ;)

I thought exactly the same when I was looking, trust me you will be well grateful driving around town with an auto, such a pleasure to drive and just no effort......ok the driver involvement may not be as great as the 6 speed box but you will have to be a pretty shit hot driver to get maximum benifit from the manual.......Auto you dont miss shifts never get stuck at any speed and dont lose boost between changes.......a lot of big power american boys use auto transmission in there supes, also auto's are better for drag racing in imo :)

I thought exactly the same when I was looking, trust me you will be well grateful driving around town with an auto, such a pleasure to drive and just no effort......ok the driver involvement may not be as great as the 6 speed box but you will have to be a pretty shit hot driver to get maximum benifit from the manual.......Auto you dont miss shifts never get stuck at any speed and dont lose boost between changes.......a lot of big power american boys use auto transmission in there supes, also auto's are better for drag racing in imo :)

Thanks for the coments mikey,

I'm afarid I'm still not convinced, I'm so opposed to autos that just the sight of the shift stick makes me shudder ;)

I won't claim to think I'll get better performance out of the manual than an auto (at least not straight away ;)) but I think I'll enjoy it a LOT more - and I won't be doing any town driving as this certainly *won't* be my daily driver :)

Hadn't thought about the boost loss during chanmges tbh, but it's still not convincing me. I think the only thing that will convince me is the lack of manuals about :(

thanks for the advice and the hellos everyone :respekt: (please keep it coming!), I *will* go and try an auto TT, but I think getting me to buy one will be a completely different matter... ;)

Steve

Welcome Steve, hope you find the ideal TT.

Just a note on the autos. My brother works for Mercedes Benz, and he's driven most of the interesting ones (AMG's etc). I took him for a spin in my TT auto, and he simply couldn't believe how quickly my 10 year old auto was changing up, and he was genuinely impressed with its performance. Coming from someone who's driven automatic cars worth more than my house and tuned by AMG etc, I was quite pleased :)

All the best

Matt