The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie Alert!

Guest Deserter

Guest Deserter

Auto vs Manual:

What's the feeling around these parts re autos?

From a quick scan of the classified there's alot of them for sale.

I am presently an auto driver of a (*censored*) but think I would prefer a manual.

I am thinking of deserting my present club and perhaps coming here.

What's stock bhp produced in an unmodified car & do you have lots of 'fun' trying to put it on the road in the wet? (any crashed over winter?)

A 3 litre has got to be a better starting point than a 2.5, surely?

What's the reliability of these things like?

As I am such a lazy git, and I know you all love to be helpful, do you have any threads which detail the model differences, ages etc ...

I am presently driving a 93 model (*censored again*), and to be honest think it's a bit of a banger. Bits of trim/fitting etc are broken, damaged & it's quite ratty ... so whatever I choose, it's going to have to be significantly newer.

What sort of figure for a v Good condition model of less than 5yrs old (if such a thing exists?) ... I don't even know if these things are still current?!!

Cheers!

Auto vs Manual:

What's the feeling around these parts re autos?

From a quick scan of the classified there's alot of them for sale.

I am presently an auto driver of a (*censored*) but think I would prefer a manual.

Have a drive of both, the auto is excellent but its down to personal preference.

I am thinking of deserting my present club and perhaps coming here.

What's stock bhp produced in an unmodified car & do you have lots of 'fun' trying to put it on the road in the wet? (any crashed over winter?)

For the TT, stock bhp of a j-spec is between 300-320 dependant on the car. 326bhp for the UK. Yes, there have been a few members who've had accidents over the winter but then that'll be the same for any car club. Obviously high bhp, rwd, cold weather & wet roads means grip will be lower, but thats not a problem specifically with the supra.

A 3 litre has got to be a better starting point than a 2.5, surely?

The MKIV supra only comes with a 3.0 engine. The MK3 had a 2.5.

What's the reliability of these things like?

Second to none, so long as the car has been maintained they're extremely reliable

As I am such a lazy git, and I know you all love to be helpful, do you have any threads which detail the model differences, ages etc ...

A huge subject, don't be lazy use the search button!

I am presently driving a 93 model (*censored again*), and to be honest think it's a bit of a banger. Bits of trim/fitting etc are broken, damaged & it's quite ratty ... so whatever I choose, it's going to have to be significantly newer.

What sort of figure for a v Good condition model of less than 5yrs old (if such a thing exists?) ... I don't even know if these things are still current?!!

There's no reason to expect a 93 car isn't going to be in top condition. Many of the early cars owned by members hear could be mistaken for 1 year old ones. What car do you have now? I Don't see the point in putting 'censored', no one here is going to care what you own now, but it does help to give a comparison between Supras and your existing one particularly for things like running costs, reliability, etc

You may be able to get a car say from 1997 to 2002 but its would have to be one already SVA'd. There is no model report for the newer cars so you can't currently get one to pass the ESVA test.

Guest Deserter

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply!

I've heard that the Supra Autobox is 2nd to none, but do you not feel that there's a loss of control? I mean one big stomp (sorry gentle squeeze) and it kicks down right into the power and .... whooops! I ask this question because in my present camp, autos are really not favourable & no bugger wants to buy them.

For info I'm driving a 93 R33GTSt. it's pretty much stock apart from exhaust, induction, bodykit + wheels .. all courtesy of the previous owner. Having been nowhere near a Dyno, I can't imagine that this produces any more that 250 standard +10% tops!

Are you guys suffering from an approaching market saturation & your card being devalued by sellers dropping ( & dropping & dropping ) their prices? I know Skylines are dropping through the floor in value at the moment.

Finally are all Supras RWD? there is a massive divide in skylines where GTR owners look down on GTS owners as inferior (well they are cheaper) but I reckon the GTS is a 'proper' RWD!

I shall be having a good nose around & may be in the market to snap something up soon ... (would it be insulting to even 'think' about px?!)