The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much torque and hp are the W58 boxes known to hold ?

WayneW

Hi everyone,

Things have gone quicker than expected for me as i now own my own single turbo kit that make a good 600hp and 550Nm of torque (limited).

My plans were to get a proper gearbox before the single kit... but ok... =)

I'll get the car mapped (greddy emanage ultimate) beginning next year and would like to know if I drive the car with care (only accelerations, no launches or so) would the W58 hold or not ?

I mean I'll change to box asap but really would like to get the car singled before because this won't appear that soon...

Don't want to trash the box as I would like to put it in an IS300 in the future...

Thanks in advance for your help !

The boxes can let go in BPU twin turbo swaps, so will not take the levels your kit can make. They say the torque kills them more than BHP, but unless you severely limit the boost/power/torque from the stated level it can make then it's going to be a massive risk. You'll end up having to map it for low boost and then remap later for more if you can't wait for the stronger gearbox replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

R154 is a lot stronger.

I always regurgitate this info when stuff like this comes up, but the metal will potentially fatigue crack eventually, ie it can do the same pull over and over until one day the same pull or even a less stressful one can cause catastrophic failure. It's not linear but the lower the power/stress level put on the components the more cycles of this stress they can handle and vice versa.

You can design into materials/components such that the stress levels they see, mean they never enter into the danger zone ie there is a stress level at which the cycles it can endure is infinite (ie a w58 and 220bhp even with clutch dumping and miss shifts), so you are just down to the more usual synchro and other surface type wear. Once beyond this safe stress level (and in a W58 we don't know what this is) you are entering into the fatigue failure possibility and depending on individual component defects (tiny cracks/voids/impurities in the metals) you can get varying results.

So all we have to go on is user feedback, which is varied as you'd expect, but don't necessarily think because Harrypm82 is on 500+ bhp yours will therefore definitely last the same as his has, it might go on the first pull, it's a lottery and if I was going to use the gearbox elsewhere in the future I would stick in the sub 400 range, or at least have a setting at this and a slightly higher one if you must.

Mines on 430Nm single turbo, delivery is very smooth and gradual on the map and i think has helped it survive as long as it has. I do granny it around a lot of the time, but have pushed limits with it too, so far its taken the abuse quite well. I would recommend full service on the W58 before you do anything else. Secondly, do NOT get a competition stage 4 clutch, for the love of god.