The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single conversion done and absolutely love it! Project write up

2jzjay

Hey , as some of u may have already read on my previous post last week, I was thinking of converting my uk TT auto to single.

After taking all the great advise on-board, I finally plucked up the courage to commit to the conversion.

A massive thanks to 214supra for hooking my up with his used, but very good condition kit. And for travelling 6hours to deliver it! What a legend.

So, primary reasons for the change was....

Stock TT system over complex and very cluttered under the bonnet, and really just fancied a change!

In March I carried out a full engine build myself to freshen up the gaskets and seals etc, but as we know these things grow arms and legs, and ended up being a little more than just a freshen up,

Engine spec,

Block bored to 86.5mm.

Skimmed and honed.

Manley forged pistons.

King race bearings all round.

Cylinder head reconditioned and shimmer.

All put back together with all genuine gaskets, water pump,oil pump, lower pulley, low mileage twin turbos spiced from italy and put on with all new gasket etc.

All parts pain stakenly cleaned.

Ran/broke engine in gently.

End result very nice, smooth, running BPU +.

Spec before single -

Engine

Rebuilt engine with forged pistons

Greddy 3row front mount

1st and 2nd decats

Full exhaust system

Greddy profec b boost controller

Hks intake

Hks BOV

Whifbitz carbon cooling panel

Carbon fan shroud

Fluidline radiator

Pics of build...

20180119_111402.jpg

IMG-20180209-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180312-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180312-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20181107-WA0005.jpg

Brakes -

Large brembo front brake convert from range rover sport

Suspension -

Tein super street coilovers.

Front strut brace

Wheels and tyres -

Wheel mania alloys

Front, 8.5x19"

Rear, 9.5x19"

Perilli P zeros all round.

All the usual extras that help the UK models, and make it easier to go single, 550 injectors, auto box and diff coolers, cams, etc etc.

So after driving this configuration for few thousand miles, time to make the change. Took 3 days to do the conversion, with lots of help from 2 very good friends.

Lots of tea drinking and couple of late nights, but wanted to get it right first time and do a nice job.

Got some good advise from Burma as he is doing a similar build in regards to running on standard ecu for the minute. And will upgrade very soon when have the funds for syvecs kit!

Single kit i purchased

Ceramic coated boost logic manifold,

Precision t67dbb turbo

Turbo blanket

Hks turbo smart wastegate

Down pipe and second decat 3"

Larger greddy intercooler full kit

Newer style HKS BOV

polished rad pipe and new water neck pipe.

4" AEM filter

485 walbro pump

650 injectors

Aromotive fpr

Also purchased various other bits,

AEM wideband kit,

Braided lines, AN fittings, pipes etc

One of the main issues with uk spec singles is the air flow meter, and as I am running standard ecu at the mo, needed to make sure this was all plumbed in and looked neat. And as my intake was 4" and the air flow meter was only 75mm, my friend came round with his welding gear and fabbed a stainless intake pipe with AN fittings on and a reduced so I could make a nice job of it. I'll let u guys have a look and see what u think, but I'm happy with it.

Anyway, it all went very well with only a few road blocks along the way, all caused by it being a UK spec auto and the kit coming off a j spec manual.

Here's the end result....

20181110_171306.jpg

IMG-20181111-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20181111-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20181111-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20181111-WA0015.jpg

Went out for a good drive today.....and holy hell!! It's an absolute animal and has completely transformed the car!

Even the gear changes are completely different which I wasn't expecting. And it's sounds like a gaggle of raging bison are about to come through the bonnet and tear my face off!!

AFR reading are very good, only running low boost at around 1 bar atm, until fuel system and ecu are in, but impressed with the way it runs, idle is perfect, not cutting out, ecu has adjusted well for the massive change and not even an engine light!!

Now just to save my pennies for the next step, Thanks for anyone who has given any advise or helped me out.

Until next time!

Edited by 2jzjay (see edit history)

Thanks fellas, sound is the best bit!

Not touched fuel system yet, will drop injectors in when ecu is fitted, may go a bit bigger than 650's as already have 550's but we'll see.

Shame weather is so poor at the mo, picked a rubbish time of year to do it! Nice cold air though!