The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox options

cainhead

Hello,

Time has come to upgrade the gearbox. I won’t go through the whole back story but I’ve ended up with a single turbo running a W58. Despite what everyone says it been good to me, I’ve just had to be a little more gentle when feeding in the power and I have it mapped to the lowest boost setting.

Anyway I’m looking at this as a long term thing as I will never sell the car as it’s worth more in parts. So the thought of £3-6k for a R154 or V160/1 does really work for me. More recently I’ve seen the CD009 conversion from the 350z and the more I read about that v’s the BMW conversion the more it makes sense. You can get a brand new box from Nissan for £1600 and that’s the later model. So I guess what I’m asking is, has anyone done the conversion and can they share their experience, and does anyone know if the ratios would work.

If you think this is a completely bad ideas I’m happy to listen to advice. All I’m trying to do here is future proof the car.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.:thumbs:

This is an age long discussion, even before the huge increase of everything car related. I recall thinking 3.5k for a 6 speed was insane. Yet now I look back and wish I had done that over buying an R154.

For me personally, any options would have to consider; what happens if the gearbox fails.

Clutches, shafts, bellhousings, are never going to be as costly as a gearbox. Any conversion should have a decent supply of replacement boxes. I think the 350z option has been done but I haven't seen a huge amount of people solve this problem. BMW gearbox swaps were popular, but the 6 speeds (think M3 ones are also getrag) aren't disposable like the diesel gearboxs, but they have not so accomodating ratios.

I'm planning to sell my R154 after mines back on the road early 2019 and go down the BMW M3 getrag route.

This is an age long discussion, even before the huge increase of everything car related. I recall thinking 3.5k for a 6 speed was insane. Yet now I look back and wish I had done that over buying an R154.

For me personally, any options would have to consider; what happens if the gearbox fails.

Clutches, shafts, bellhousings, are never going to be as costly as a gearbox. Any conversion should have a decent supply of replacement boxes. I think the 350z option has been done but I haven't seen a huge amount of people solve this problem. BMW gearbox swaps were popular, but the 6 speeds (think M3 ones are also getrag) aren't disposable like the diesel gearboxs, but they have not so accomodating ratios.

I'm planning to sell my R154 after mines back on the road early 2019 and go down the BMW M3 getrag route.

Thats what i was thinking, im planning on keeping the car so having readily available spares does seem more appealing. Its just the ratios for CD009 vs the M3 box which i dont fully understand and would like to know which is the best match.

See Rastsmc write up 370z conversion. Start post few days back.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emkivsupra%2Enet%2Fvbb%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D351137&share_tid=351137&share_fid=12714&share_type=t

/QUOTE]

I will have a read later, £1600 for a brand new box sounds like a nice option.

EDIT: could this be made to work with a 3UZ v8 lump instead :D

The CD009 has almost the same ratio's as the V160 gearbox. Together with a Auto TT or 6-speed TT (Small/big) diff the setup will be like oem 6-speed.

I'm driving right now with the 370Z trans together with a small 6-speed diff and it drive like heaven. Specially in the 6-speed.

I don't now the ratio of the M3 but I guess it will be in the same area, so a 6-speed or Auto TT diff is needed. At least a ratio lower than the NA diff one.