The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No Throttle!

Chris1992

Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker here on behalf of my dad who owns an original 98 Jap import VVTI TT6. We've had the car for a few years now, and have only now come across our first problem. The car has been sat under a cover at a friends yard for the last few months while we've had a car port built, and yesterday we went to collect it and bring it home. After a quick battery change, she fired right up and drove great all the way home. This morning however, something seems to have happened, as the throttle is no longer working at all. The car starts up fine and idles nicely, but when you twist the throttle literally nothing happens at all, it just stays at idle. We are both mechanically minded, but are more used to working on cars from the 50s/60 which can be fixed with a hammer and some shouting! So does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? It's got us both stumped!

Cheers

Chris

Can you trace the throttle cable in the engine bay? It attaches just next to the oil cap

Sounds like cable to me have you tried reving it from the throttle body ?

Can confirm it's not the cable, I've tried revving it at the throttle body and still nothing. I've also checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine

Ok cheers, will give that a go and report back :thumbs:

Update: I did the throttle reset procedure, and although I didn't actually hear anything, it seems to have worked! Everything is back to normal. So is this a sign that something else could be failing and needs to be looked at? Or is it just one of those things that happens sometimes?

Cheers for the help everyone!

I think it can be a sign of wear but equally may be just because it was laid up for a while.

I think it's potentiometers or something in them, it's not unknown for people to have reoccurring problems and replacing them but also the fact there is a factory reset procedure also points towards them knowing from day one that at some point they will all need a classic IT 'Turn it off and on again' reboot.

I'd wait and see at this point

I think it can be a sign of wear but equally may be just because it was laid up for a while.

I think it's potentiometers or something in them, it's not unknown for people to have reoccurring problems and replacing them but also the fact there is a factory reset procedure also points towards them knowing from day one that at some point they will all need a classic IT 'Turn it off and on again' reboot.

I'd wait and see at this point

Ok will keep an eye on it for now then, cheers mate

This is a vvti fbw trait on ageing throttle bodies. One of or both of the pots will have worn tracks.

The cable will supply a get you home throttle if pulled fully but does not give many revs.

It's difficult to ascertain which pot is defective (imo) and there is little about pot set up on vvti throttles.

Options as I saw it when it happened to me was

New pots from Mr t and set up

New throttle body from Mr t. V expensive

Fbw throttle body removal with different ECU. Not a bad shout and I think Paul sells kits

FBW removal which again needs different ECU

Second hand throttle body.

All viable but a little painful. I went for second hand unit and am looking at a set up procedure ( winter project ) for pots