The mkiv Supra Owners Club

After market Intakes

Jellybean

To name a few,

• Plazmaman
  • Hypertune
  • CPC
  • Sleeper designs

The issue with after market intakes is the length of the inlet runners , longer runner favours low RPM torque versus a shorter runner , higher rpm performance (not ideal for the road)

I know we have to compromise , most of us go with an aftermarket intake to trick out the engine bay at the expense of low end torque

I have two options

• CPC Carbon intake
  • OE intake , vapor blasted to tidy her up

Questions

1. For members with an aftermarket intake , would you retain the OE intake if you had to do it again
  2. Is any of the aftermarket intakes , from quality perspective; hands down better than the rest?
  3. Does any aftermarket intake , lend itself to more low than torque versus others?

My TT Intake Manifold & Throttle body i had bead blasted to get it all looking like new again and keep the natural finish, I was worried about it Oxidizing again soon after but the chap I used to bead blast them said to spray they all with clear lacquer. Seems to have worked as 5 years later and 3 years of being on the car they still look like they did when I first had them done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=229735&stc=1&d=1541333244

attachment.php?attachmentid=229736&stc=1&d=1541333244

8CED196F-C84A-40EA-8981-1DCE0545CF60.jpeg

560D1D26-2252-4140-A8A9-DD3323A81D37.jpeg

My TT Intake Manifold & Throttle body i had bead blasted to get it all looking like new again and keep the natural finish, I was worried about it Oxidizing again soon after but the chap I used to bead blast them said to spray they all with clear lacquer. Seems to have worked as 5 years later and 3 years of being on the car they still look like they did when I first had them done.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=229735&stc=1&d=1541333244

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=229736&stc=1&d=1541333244

Did your blaster do the work with all the sensors in place? Had most of my aluminium parts done now, Just the throttle body to go which I am about to strip down, but if I don't have to all the better!

Did your blaster do the work with all the sensors in place? Had most of my aluminium parts done now, Just the throttle body to go which I am about to strip down, but if I don't have to all the better!

I did take everything off before it was blasted as I was worried about all the very fine beads getting into all the sensors etc.

Questions

For members with an aftermarket intake , would you retain the OE intake if you had to do it again

No, I love the look and quality of the product.

[*]Is any of the aftermarket intakes , from quality perspective; hands down better than the rest?

hard to say as I haven't seen them all, the hypertune for me was the stand out product. Very high quality, the looks and fit and finish are certainly desirable. So desirable in fact after seeing Chingy car in the flesh I had to sell my greddy and buy one.

[*]Does any aftermarket intake , lend itself to more low than torque versus others?

As you've mentioned already the shorter runners lend themselves to top end gain, but I can't say I've lost any driveability and with a small single turbo you will me making more torque and power over just about all the rev range anyway

If this is a budget breaker, definitely stay oem and invest in the best parts possible. But money no object, there's no reason not too.

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)