The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ecu ideas and tuning in the south west

2jzjay

Hey all!

I'm very tempted to go single finally with my uk spec TT auto.

Engine underwent complete overhaul beginning of the year with 0.5mm overbore and forged Manley pistons.

Currently running bpu+ setup on standard uk spec twins.

The turbo kit in thinking of buying is the greddy t78-33d full kit, used, but seems in good condition.

Would like to achieve the 500hp mark.

For the time being, will run on standard uk 550 injectors and pump until I can afford to upgrade.

But I'm unsure on which ecu to go for?

My main concerns are, I live in Cornwall and don't want to be travelling hundreds of miles just to get the car mapped.

So, firstly need some recommendations on any good tuners in Cornwall or Devon, familiar with supras,

And also, which ECU to go for?

Obviously the tuner will need to be familiar with the ECU I suppose?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advise, much appreciated

Ah ok that's interesting. I have asked what ar this particular turbo is so was hoping it was of the smaller ones. Perhaps this ain't the kit for me.

I would like to simplify the engine bay with the single and build a bit of a weapon.

Also have a manual conversion in mind somewhere down the road so thinking ahead a little too.

Which ECU would u recommend if I did go bpu +++?

I was thinking of maxing out the sequentials with the stock ECU and injectors.

I think the issue with standalone ecu's is mappers and then if you upgrade in stages you get continual mapping charges.

I have no direct experience of singles or high end tuning but I would look into the max you could push yours too (trying to find some links for you) for the short term and then perhaps look at others single experiences (including mapping and ECU type - the old adage being choose your tuner and then use the ECU they know/recommend) to see what would suit you most and try and get it right first time to save on mapping tweaks etc?

Yeah fair points.

Would love to go manual first, but I would only go down the v160 route, and as we know, 7k plus!

So was thinking could go single first as I could do that for half the cost. But I do agree, Would have more fun in a manual.

I was also considering selling up, and saving for a manual!

Arrh....it's really difficult. Just always fancied a big single lol.

I believe im quite limited down this part of the world for tuners experienced with supras, but hopefully will be corrected.

Maybe I'll contact burna and get his thoughts,

Thanks for the advise fellas.

Going from your old insurance thread, if the £23K valuation could be obtained then you could get the white single auto off ebay for £20K and then for about a net £4K spend end up in a single turbo manual with syvecs ecu the most cost efficient way of getting to your goal I think?.........it just wouldn't be your current car, in the nice blue with the uk trimmings.

I don't know if it's worth that sort of money realistically. I think it's a nice value for an insurance point of view but I think it's prob more 17-18k mark as she sits?

But again, really difficult putting a value on it in today's changing market.

I do like a UK spec mind....difficult to replace it I suppose.

I'll take a look on eBay at that one.

Here's mine as she sits...

Why is travelling for the correct advice, work and tuning your main concern?

My advice would be to take it to someone who knows what they are doing and enjoy the car. Burna will be running a small single turbo setup on the stock ecu and injectors. If you bought a high end ECU your mapper will be able to remote log in and help diagnose any issues but this isn't cheap. I wouldnt want a T78 for the setup your seeking, in real terms bpu will still probably be faster and more enjoyable to drive minus the great noise. Don't make a car dictated by budget, wait and purchase complimentary parts.

I don't mind a certain amount of travelling, but a good tune takes best part of a day in its self. But yes, if it's for a great result, Would just have to do it.

I've had no suggestions of any tuners fairly local so that is prob my only option if I go down that route.

Has anyone had any personal experience with the t78 kit?

I have read of people running standard ecu/fuelling with singles, also read that may not be a great idea with standard map.

Everybody has a budget, whether it's big or small, and the cash im thinking of throwing at a single is another car to allot of people. I just couldn't justify spending out on a new single kit, ecu, fuelling etc etc atm. But, I saw this kit at a very reasonable price and just wondered whether I could make it work that was all.

But if u guys don't think it would be best with my goals/budget/setup then maybe I'll have a rethink and allocate the cash elsewhere or just wait.

It's so difficult.....im just a sucker for big single supra sounds lol!

I don't mind a certain amount of travelling, but a good tune takes best part of a day in its self. But yes, if it's for a great result, Would just have to do it.

I've had no suggestions of any tuners fairly local so that is prob my only option if I go down that route.

Has anyone had any personal experience with the t78 kit?

I have read of people running standard ecu/fuelling with singles, also read that may not be a great idea with standard map.

Everybody has a budget, whether it's big or small, and the cash im thinking of throwing at a single is another car to allot of people. I just couldn't justify spending out on a new single kit, ecu, fuelling etc etc atm. But, I saw this kit at a very reasonable price and just wondered whether I could make it work that was all.

But if u guys don't think it would be best with my goals/budget/setup then maybe I'll have a rethink and allocate the cash elsewhere or just wait.

It's so difficult.....im just a sucker for big single supra sounds lol!

There are trader links around the site if you look properly and I'd say just about every type of single turbo, on different budgets has been built somewhere on the forum you will just have to find links.

If you YouTube a T78 supra, I imagine you will get alot of videos from 1998, its fine but things have come a very long way since then. I wouldn't try and build a single turbo on a small budget, the extra power could quickly reveal other flaws in your car and totally ruin your ownership experience. I'd happily travel and give my car away for a period of time to make sure work was done correctly and I'd definitely recommend coming around to that way of thinking as there Is nobody noteworthy anywhere near you unfortunately.

Yeah all good points.

Yeah I saw those twins for sale...good price to be fair.

I believe a half decent single can be achieved for a reasonable budget, 4-5k using some used parts. I carry out all work myself so no labour to worry about, I run my own garage business which is also VAT registered so also some money saved there.

I may go for a whifbitz kit....obviously need a bigger budget lol! Ive always like the precision turbo kits, and the 6262 in particular. Very well made and have great reviews and results.

Hmmmm....decisions decisions...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah all good points.

Yeah I saw those twins for sale...good price to be fair.

I believe a half decent single can be achieved for a reasonable budget, 4-5k using some used parts. I carry out all work myself so no labour to worry about, I run my own garage business which is also VAT registered so also some money saved there.

I may go for a whifbitz kit....obviously need a bigger budget lol! Ive always like the precision turbo kits, and the 6262 in particular. Very well made and have great reviews and results.

Hmmmm....decisions decisions...

I’d be looking at a Precision 6266 journal for your power goals. SRD or Performance@Hart as traders to supply and fit.

As others have said Burna is looking at a small single setup on his UK TT Auto and with the 550 injectors and standard pump and ECU it’ll run 500ish happily. You would also be able to run the 6266 at 500ish power and up it to max of 700+ on standalone ECU when you have the funds. Best of both worlds.

I’ve gone from a big single manual to Stock Auto TT which is tough! If I go down the route of modifying again a well setup 6266 on auto trans would be my preference.

Hey,

That's an interesting swop...how u finding the auto over the manual? Did u have a 6 or 5spd before?

Defo in need of a good chat with burna as my next step.

A little cautious over going single with standard ecu for obvious reasons but as long as u take necessary precautions, ie, wideband/Afr gauge etc to monitor the situation and keep the boost low, standard ecu should cope with that.