The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoke from engine and split fluids?

Wonga Spar

Sorry if this is the wrong place, it doesn't seem technical enough to go in that section.

Was running late and ragged the car a bit on the way to work, arrived to find smoke coming from the exhaust manifold area (could have been lower but hard to tell) but no one spot in particular. There's oil spillage on the undertray which I hadn't noticed until today, should I be worried/investigate further?

Cheers

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

Sorry if this is the wrong place, it doesn't seem technical enough to go in that section.

Was running late and ragged the car a bit on the way to work, arrived to find smoke coming from the exhaust manifold area (could have been lower but hard to tell) but no one spot in particular. There's oil spillage on the undertray which I hadn't noticed until today, should I be worried/investigate further?

Cheers

The smoke could just be the oil burning on the exhaust. You'll need to remove the undertray and investigate further. Could be a o-ring leak or something simple.

Are you still NA or did you go NA-T in the end?

Defo oily? not watery? Did the smoke smell bad, burning oil is pretty strong/grim.

Check oil level now it's cool, and open the rad cap to check that's brimmed still.

Still no NA-T, every couple of months I'll swoop around all the insurers but haven't managed to find somebody willing to insure a converted Supra for under £1,400... very, very annoying.

Nipped down and checked in my lunch break, the fluids look like coolant, very orange/brown and murky, too... as you mentioned the rad cap is no longer filled to brim so clearly something is unhappy. There's some water pooled on the tray too. Suppose I should have a coolant flush this weekend, reckon it's okay to top up with water and drive home?

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

Interesting, really appreciated.

I'm going to go full-stupid question, but assuming this is a loose hose, is just a case of putting the hose back in, and should I be able to do that in a car park without any tools?

Just took it for another quick drive with refilled coolant/water, same issue, there's fluid draped all over the exhaust side of the engine. Could it be a water pump fault or can I rule that out?

You can't rule anything out until you have a proper look and identify where the leak is from, its unlikely

to be from two places, it could be a hole or a split that might req a new part

If you find its from an original hose i'd be inclined to replace it as they are very old now, i

had them failing years ago so worth updating for peace of mind, and replace the hose clips

as well

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

How far is work from home, should be ok if it's not that far/traffic is not too bad, just top right up and note how much you put in as it gives you a good idea how much leaked compared to the total coolant volume capacity. The more you have to put in to topup the rad the more careful you'll need to be!

When home let it cool fully and then I would top up the coolant again and then run it and watch for leaks.

You have the coolant pipes/hoses, water pump area and core plugs as suspects on that side of the block. Try and look at a coolant path schematic so you can check all joins etc.