The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Idiot me angry me sad me Windscreen issue

SupraTRD_MK4

So my brother sprayed his bumpers. Hot day and open ventilation and yes them fumes fly everywhere despite no wind.

I fitted my 8/10 window scuttle panel after removing my left fender and adjuster the bonnet hinge but that was after I removed the bonnet. Seems the scuttle panel couldnt mount on the left hence adjusting of bonnet hinge.

Fit fender back after installing but now fender has krap gap as FRP and previous shop trimmed it like blind dousche bags. Install scuttle panel. Happy. Call for help and nobody assisted so try fitting bonnet alone like a baboon. Really if someone recorded it, you would imagine the same as my engine bay is empty and yeah you can figure the rest.

As a result, scratch my windscreen deeply, scratch scuttle panel slightly, swearing and eventually a bolt in on the one side whilst the stay is holding up the other side. Bonnet in align and thats it.

Inspect the deep scar on windshield, wash windscreen and find some paint particles on it. So I decide P800 as I dont have 2000 or 1500 and use soapy water and gently scratch the entire damn surface. Deep scar wont come out at all and now I got tiny scratches all over.:blink:

Watched a few videos of how to repair it but yeah.

Any forum member have experience with repairing scratches on your windscreen or can I jump off a cliff and call it a day?

My friend, owner of a supra as well, is a car detailer and has assured me that buying a new one at $450 is the only way out now as glass and paint dont come out the same with buffing or correction so to speak.

Someone pls help me or experienced and dedicated forum members, shoot away with the comments.

I was so furious as never have I done something so idiotic in my life. I thought plastic head lamps do well with this so windcreen should be ok. Why did I forget that thinners would have been better really escapes my mind sadly. :( :taped:

Edited by SupraTRD_MK4 (see edit history)

Think I used the water paper idea as the scar was deep and thought it might bring it up a bit or not so evident as it is. Lucky its in the bottom right corner of driver side so doesn't hamper me driving experience in 2 years time. The other tiny scratches doesnt seem bad in the sunlight but somehow at night time they were more visible. Don't think it would cause a problem either but yeah, another part to get now in my restoration process that could have been avoided.

Thanks to you guys I found this and the kits are cheapish form what I have seen upon this finding of mine.

Watch the above video link for more insight regarding this topic.

Notice that everyone uses a drill with variable speed. Guess I will be buying a kit and give it a try sometime this year. I will post back with results once I do this repair.

There was another video of guy wearing a black t-shirt who explained how much you should mix. He said 2 table spoons Cerium oxide powder to a splash of water. He then mixed it till it was consistent but mentioned you don't need to worry too much if there is still a few granules of the powder in it but best to have it in that form as in the video. He also suggested to leave the polishing pad to soak in water so that the tip was then moistened when removed and not dripping water. He then applied it to the mixture and then rubbed it on the surface requiring repairs and started working in circular motion. Everyone seems to be doing it in a fast to moderate speed motion across the affected area and ensuring spraying of water as this helps to keep the mixture wet. If it dries whilst you working it, it may increase the temperature on the windscreen in a certain point and then cause a crack.

As mentioned above, you will need alot of time to do this but I guess it should work in the end.

Thanks once again Ric and Mc

Edited by SupraTRD_MK4 (see edit history)