The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT test your handbrake?

Jellybean

Hey

Got the NCT today (MOT here) , They cannot put the car on the rollers to test the handbrake as she has an LSD

Decelerometer Test

4. If the vehicle is of a type which cannot be tested on the roller brake tester, it should be subject to a decelerometer

test as follows:

• With the vehicle on a reasonably level road, place the decelerometer on the floor of the vehicle. Follow the

manufacturer’s instructions and set it in the zero position.

• Drive the vehicle at a speed of approximately 32km/h (20mph). Apply the parking brake and note the reading

on the decelerometer.

What happened

To test the handbrake, he took the car to the small confined carpark and locked the rear via the handbrake, skidded her down the wet concrete decline between customer cars for 5 metres!

easily cause damage and stretch the handbrake cable

I was livid!

Hey

Got the NCT today (MOT here) , They cannot put the car on the rollers to test the handbrake as she has an LSD

Decelerometer Test

4. If the vehicle is of a type which cannot be tested on the roller brake tester, it should be subject to a decelerometer

test as follows:

• With the vehicle on a reasonably level road, place the decelerometer on the floor of the vehicle. Follow the

• Drive the vehicle at a speed of approximately 32km/h (20mph). Apply the parking brake and note the reading

on the decelerometer.

What happened

To test the handbrake, he took the car to the small confined carpark and locked the rear via the handbrake, skidded her down the wet concrete decline between customer cars for 5 metres!

I was livid!

Definate wear inside the discs. And slight tension on the cables. They wont get damaged that much. But i got some new cables if you need

Hey

Decelerometer Test

test as follows:

on the decelerometer.

What happened

I was livid!

That's how they test my handbrake every year

Never did it to my car in the 12 years I owned it, I did see them before on the road doing a hard stop but never locking up the rear

/QUOTE]

Mine was tested on rollers 1st yr I went with car just turn traction off, however last few yrs guys insist on driving it out on road because they want to drive it even though I said it's ok to test it on rollers.

How does using the rollers damage the diff ?

No issues with mine and in my ownership my second UK car was tested on the

rollers the same way on 13 mot tests, same with the first UK car i had

My thoughts are exactly the same. If the car`s transmission is in neutral, how in the earth does it effect to the differential if both rear tyres roll with the equalent speed? :think: My car has had 15 MOT test during my ownership and I never have had any issues at all.

My thoughts are exactly the same. If the car`s transmission is in neutral, how in the earth does it effect to the differential if both rear tyres roll with the equalent speed? :think: My car has had 15 MOT test during my ownership and I never have had any issues at all.

Car does be in gear it's driven on rollers it's not in neutral. I don't know if it would damage the diff, maybe someone on here more technical.

Car does be in gear it's driven on rollers it's not in neutral. I don't know if it would damage the diff, maybe someone on here more technical.

Cars driven onto the rollers then put into neutral ;) test the brake then into gear and drive out the roller

Cars driven onto the rollers then put into neutral ;) test the brake then into gear and drive out the roller

Over here they test front rear brakes on same rollers as they do the handbrake, the car is defo in gear for part of the brake test, anyway I can't see that test doing damage to the diff but maybe it's better be safe then sorry.

How would they do the front wheels or a vehicles non driven wheels if

they weren't powered rollers ?

Agree with what Dunk says here, majority of our cars over here are front wheel drive. Therefore how would they test the handbrake on rollers if they weren't powered ones?

Reading this though out of curiosity I'm going to check with my MOT testers how they test my handbrake. But it didn't leave the workshop during the test whilst I was waiting in reception so it wasn't done on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I was in for my nct yesterday and for the first time they put her on the rollers. I told them she had a LSD and he just looked at me and said so. So after the test he tried to tell me my car did not come with recaro seats and I would need to get a engineer's report for aftermarket seats.

Alot of A-holes work in the centres , with zero customer training ; it does state in the NCT manual a car with an lsd should under go the Decelerometer Test not the rollers

I have Recaro's in mine (non Factory) , they said nothing ; shows how inconsistent the test is

- - - Updated - - -

Alot of A-holes work in the centres , with zero customer training ; it does state in the NCT manual a car with an lsd should under go the Decelerometer Test not the rollers

I have Recaro's in mine (non Factory) , they said nothing ; shows how inconsistent the test is