The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZ blocks

Fulcrum2000

Blocks are the same, obviously they have different rods pistons and the oil squirters but most built engines remove them I think as you have to bend the squirters as aftermarket piston skirts are different, as are the crowns the oil shoots at, so they probably don't work as intended anyway.

Vvti blocks have a larger oil outlet to feed the vvti head I think. Not sure you could just overbore one cylinder?

GE vvti blocks are weaker. GE non vvti has the same crank/rods, pistons are a different shape on top but are interchangeable. Just don't have oil squirters which is a debate on its own, depends what power you aim for

Pretty sure the blocks aren't any weaker, just the conrods.

Pretty sure the blocks aren't any weaker, just the conrods.

Yeah that. From what I've seen the castings are the same, just GTE have oil feeds and squirters but they can be added as mentioned above.

It's better to use them IMHO even though forged pistons dont have the oil galleries in them like the 2jz gte cast ones, as it cools the piston skirt better than none.

If you cant get a GTE block I would get the GE block. I haven't opened up my oil coked engine but hoping my crank and bores look okay to use. If not I will be buying a GE block as they are selling them at importers here by me for a 1/3 of the price of a GTE VVTi engine. I have seen a few GE motors turbo charged pushing out 800kw and over 1000nm torque. This is obviously with additional work. Many have spoken of whether an engine needs oil piston cooling nozzles or not. They are there only to cool down piston crown temperatures as they spray oil under the piston. The name speaks for itself. I don't know bout the GTE piston but it may have a galley drilled in it were the oil can circulate as it sprays in but I could be wrong. None the less if you push the motor to its max, that piston cooling nozzle will not cool the piston crown adequately enough any longer as combustion temperatures would increase hence people remove them. Aftermarket pistons for GTE engines in most cases do have the cut away for the nozzle.

Edited by SupraTRD_MK4 (see edit history)