The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To go single or not?

Tommyd16

I have a white facelift TT6 vvti. The MOT has just ran out so I have took it off the road for winter. It’s in good condition and running well although it being TTC mode. Now it’s off the road I’ve been toying with the idea of going single. Thinking of around 600bhp with all new parts from whifbitz and a precision turbo.

I have no plans to sell the car anytime soon but do you think this will affect the value of it because there abit of an investment now

SINGLE

I found my self getting the itch for more power.

Was bpu for 4 years.

Did the single conversion last winter 630hp on a 6266 and loved every mile this summer. Totally different car now.

I’ve just been out this afternoon. Had a little play with an old boy in a Porsche. Leaving him for dust off islands. He had a bigger smile than me

I wouldn’t bother. I wanted to go single until I realised it’s quite easy to keep up with the big singles round the twisties with BPU. If you want a drag car then go big single. Otherwise you will spend money you’ll never get back. Staying closer to stock saves you money and keeps value in the car.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve priced it all up and it’s do able. Was planning on doing most of the work myself then taking to whifbitz to finish a couple of bits and using their mapper on syvecs to have a couple of maps put on.

I might just for it. Be a nice project

AS ABOVE

a BPU supra beats a single 500-600bhp quarter mile in auto form where all things are level, but with a hi stall torque converter a single would kill a BPU. IIHO the best way sum it up is very simple !

If you are single a single is the best option , fast , frill of power delivery, lose of traction , input needing to get round a corner fast and joy of driving.

if your in a relationship with a BPU supra your having fun but want more but if go single your counting down the days to sell it to shut you partner up.

I will say that a lot of people don't for some reason out there is how nice a car is to drive day to day , I expect a single turbo manual with high power would have to have a cutch that is a nightmare in traffic , reliability can go down hill with modified parts ( the person selling you that wont tell you that but its true ) its needing parts that complement each other for a balanced system.

tuning is business and they want your money regardless if your car becomes a pig to drive you wanted a 1000 bhp its the price you pay.

being your sequential don't work properly you have forgotten or don't know what your missing out on > in TTC you are driving like your supra has a massive single over 70mm turbo lag but 50mm turbo power

just my view as im single turbo hunting down a misfire sorry

this is a double edge sword in a auto

1. the TT box can only handle around 500 reliably ( well for more then 3-4 Years )

2. Your can raise the rpm of the torque converter with out replacement for a hi stall , so with a auto your sitting there waiting for boost from 2000rpm too say 3500rpm which don't sound alot and from day to day driving is fine. but when your pull upto lights with a chav in a focus it will blitz you till 50mph ( maybe not the case but you get the idea)

to sum up if you get/have a single auto and want to get away fast to beat some chav in a focus you need a hi stall

It will take the power, it's driveability without a hi stall I believe as youre effectively n/a until the boost comes in at 3500rpm for example

its actually worse then that , as the TT has a lower compression and less aggressive cams

Interesting Gary, why you think it’s not as good of an idea?

sorry Chris I missed your post in writing , its the double edge sword thingy I said in the post above , that being said you could go built box + hi stall and all is well but is a lot more cash vs vaule , but the op is manual so its cool but a good clutch will cost a lot also :confused: So going back to my post being single is best for single people lol.

if your rich then it don't matter do what you want but I have to say I don't have double the amount of my car to spend on my car

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

this is a double edge sword in a auto

1. the TT box can only handle around 500 reliably ( well for more then 3-4 Years )

2. Your can raise the rpm of the torque converter with out replacement for a hi stall , so with a auto your sitting there waiting for boost from 2000rpm too say 3500rpm which don't sound alot and from day to day driving is fine. but when your pull upto lights with a chav in a focus it will blitz you till 50mph ( maybe not the case but you get the idea)

to sum up if you get/have a single auto and want to get away fast to beat some chav in a focus you need a hi stall

Lol thanks for the response, lucky I've got one :)

It's your car, enjoy it.

Saying that a single auto loses to a bpu auto simply isn't true at all, a badly setup car won't fulfill its potential no matter what it is in any given situation without even factoring in driver ability.

A 1000bhp manual supra will drive just like standard around town - and make more power faster than a stock car, you just need to choose the correct parts. And no its not cheap.

Owning a single turbo Supra is great fun, and the noise is incredible. Keep the miles off of your original parts and go back to stock whenever you want, that will keep the purists happy too.

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

I had a V160 manual aerotop big single precision 6262 with 600 BHP that I daily drove and did dragonball in a few times.

Clutch wasn't a nightmare, no idea why people say it would be.

Reliability was not a problem.

Power was immense.

No BPU supra could keep up, just watch many of the videos on Dragonball or Jamie P for that matter.

Driving it was amazing, thoroughly loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat, without a doubt.

its actually worse then that , as the TT has a lower compression and less aggressive cams

sorry Chris I missed your post in writing , its the double edge sword thingy I said in the post above , that being said you could go built box + hi stall and all is well but is a lot more cash vs vaule , but the op is manual so its cool but a good clutch will cost a lot also :confused: So going back to my post being single is best for single people lol.

if your rich then it don't matter do what you want but I have to say I don't have double the amount of my car to spend on my car

What? Lower compression? cams?!!

An auto needs more work to get the car setup right, for example Ive got a titan autobox and a titan hi stall, but it now goes like a rocket off the line and will taze a like for like power manual car in a straight line. That's why auto's are the preferred boxes for serious drag racing.

But when I ran the car on a stock auto box and stock stall converter, it was still very rapid but did bog down off the line a bit. Still worth doing in my opinion if you own a TT auto and want to go really fast! The only slight drawback (with any auto) is the handling doesn't have the same range as a manual as you don't have the same amount of downshift capabilities etc; but I'm always so far ahead of the other car in standard situations it makes no difference to me.

Edited by and1c (see edit history)