The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Oil contamination from glass - advice please

Sheefa

Hi all

Unfortunately the new red beauty has some horrible oil contamination within the rear quarter glasses, both sides. It’s very odd as the other glass panels are absolutely fine and the bodywork is immaculate.

Lee had the car stored adjacent to his wheel refurb workshop and there were rear quarter window tints which I have now removed. The oil itself seems to be embedded within the glass and I don’t know what to try to resolve, if possible.

A few ideas were Autoglym Glass Cleaner, Brake Cleaner, Methylated Spirits. I haven’t tried any of these as of yet. This oil I imagine will be extremely stubborn.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Since they are not actually glass, you could treat them the same as one would refurb their head lamps. Use 1500 grit water paper with soapy water and then a 2000 grit and then polish it thereafter with Meguiars or whatever with a polishing wheel.
Ah I thought the UKs were glass rear quarters mate? Silly me. Good shout if so I have the full refurb kits etc

I don't know bout the UK cars Sheefa. Just have a check and see. Ric, I have two oem ones. One off my car original and one import but both are JDM. You can see they not glass and even the tap on it sounds otherwise. You can test this on your car and tell me? Perhaps I am mad but I feel its a hard plastic of some sort.

Sheefa, if you search on youtube a channel named motion auto tv, you will see the lad has just redone his. Didn't have any oil marks but I saw him sanding them down and repairing the rubber trim on them as well.

So you bought 2x new ones but havn`t tried cleaning existing ones yet? you realize its a massive ballbag ache to change them don`t you, ask Num for a price i dare ya:d

Yes mate I know it’s a horrendous job, truly awful. Thankfully Num said he would do it for free out of the kindness of his big heart, which really was nice.

I don't know bout the UK cars Sheefa. Just have a check and see. Ric, I have two oem ones. One off my car original and one import but both are JDM. You can see they not glass and even the tap on it sounds otherwise. You can test this on your car and tell me? Perhaps I am mad but I feel its a hard plastic of some sort.

Sheefa, if you search on youtube a channel named motion auto tv, you will see the lad has just redone his. Didn't have any oil marks but I saw him sanding them down and repairing the rubber trim on them as well.

Thats because of the small surface area and curvature to the glass. They do take a tap differently. 100% glass.

Thanks for clearing that up for me gents. My bad and apologies to all. I did think of the shape contributing to the different sound Kevin but wasn't sure.

Don't test your old ones with a hammer Sheefa, you can sell them off mate. There is a set that needs work on ebay going for less than $300

Sorry bout the misinformation there mate.