The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who has a 7 SPEED DCT box in their supra?

raddys

As above, I have a bpu TT auto and I'm considering a newer toy, however everything I look at hasn't floated my boat like my supra does.

So I am considering bringing the supra up to date as the current hot hatches can now give me a good run for my money :(

Now I'd love to go single and would be looking for around a very responsive 600hp with full boost coming on early as poss

Now the only problem is i have with that is that the stock auto box with 650hp ish is abit laggy to drive and I feel ruins the driving experience, so I'm thinking about going DCT with a single set up, so my question is who has a DCT box and how does it compare to the modern offerings?

How does it drive etc?

I've heard mixed reviews but not from actual owners, also how much did it cost? I would be looking at for the DCT conversion from a stock BPU TT AUTO?

Many thanks, Grant

I was massively impressed with the development of these boxes onto supras, like you said, brjnging it into the modern generation! Quite a lot of work involved but when your connecting a early 90's car to a 2010 gearbox you cant expect it to be a straight forward swap like a r154 or similar... Be interesting to hear some real user reviews

I believe the drive in/out cost from stock is around £12-14k once you have bought the gearbox and diff, as the auto ratio is 3.7 and needs coming down to around 3.1 iirc

I also have a TT auto and would like a modern auto gearbox (as good as the Supra box is more gears and faster changes are needed). But have you looked at a mid-size fast spooling single with a 3200 hi stall? SRD do built auto boxes at a decent price.

It's around £12k yes for DCT setup via Whifbitz. Cheaper if you already have a Syvecs S6 Please list ECU.

It's a very large sum of money to be spending if you ask me. SRD are working on the Lexus style box conversion still I believe although not seen any updates for some time.

Guest Budz86

I was under the impression the 8 speed SRD fitted to an ISF is controlled by a syvecs and not a motec. As far as I know it's all in and working now. Deffo worth a discussion with them though as now with dyno capabilities in house it's a genuinely drive in/drive out service

I have the DCT gearbox in my Supra and it is absolutely amazing, zero loss of boost from a standstill all the way up. Perfect gear changes, throttle blipping on down shifts. The 11 different drive logic settings are great and suit whatever mood you might be in and drive by wire with different map setting. I have done around 10,000 miles since the conversion, used daily and wouldn't change it for anything.

Cheers for the replys guys, I love the sound of it but a 12k conversion is a hell of a lot of money for just a gearbox.. hmmm, I have some thinking to do lol

Theres only really 1 option at the moment.

Whifbitz or SRD (which is not ready) i believe.

The only issue with the Whifbitz one is that you need to modify your car's transmission tunnel. A lot of people don't want to cut at their floors but it's the only way.

SRD doesn't need the floor modifying but theres not been much info around lately

The ZF8hp is used in just about everything at the moment.

Just to give you some idea as to why the 8 speed is a vastly better choice than the 7 speed DCT, here is the speed to gear spread on a few options:

M3 DCT with Whifbitz custom diff vs NA6 diff and ZF8hp

M3 DCT with Whifbitz custom diff vs TT6 diff and ZF8hp

M3 DCT with Whifbitz custom diff vs NA6 diff and IS-F gearbox

More aggressive through the gears and a higher top speed/lower cruising RPM. Not only will it be faster, it won't cost you so much petrol on a motorway run.

Edited by el_bandido (see edit history)

There are other options, I'm in touch with someone about a ZF8hp swap, using a controller that is already working and has been used to turn 6 speed Aston Martin autos into 8 speeds.

What's the donor car of that specific 8HP? Any more infos on the swap available?

ZF8hp is whats supposed to be used in the new Supra right?

yup

I believe the Jag (F-Type) has the 8HP70 but you're right, it's probably stronger than the one in the new Supra, which is supposedly an 8HP50. Interesting project.

I talked to the guys from ZF Race Engineering about such a conversion a while back. Since the transmission is used in motorsports applications I assumed there would be some sort of aftermarket version. But that's not the case. It's all based on OEM ECUs so you have to reverse-engineer the CAN bus communication.