The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Prices, what happened?

marc_p

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American knock on effect.............some you tuber (perhaps not representative) bought a 93 TT6 for circa $50K (they can import 25 year old cars so 93's now, next year 93 and 94's etc etc)

Check out autotrader in the US and an NA goes for over $20K usually. The Japanese have caught on, auction prices there now are very high (with our import and vat taxes it makes them even more so for us) it seems like a semi bubble with some trying to cash in at the new prices, I see a stagnation/levelling from here depending on the US appetite for the RHD cars long term.

Bad news if you sold a few years back, no cheap way back in, some NA's going for 5 figures here now!?

American knock on effect.............some you tuber (perhaps not representative) bought a 93 TT6 for circa $50K (they can import 25 year old cars so 93's now, next year 93 and 94's etc etc)

Check out autotrader in the US and an NA goes for over $20K usually. The Japanese have caught on, auction prices there now are very high (with our import and vat taxes it makes them even more so for us) it seems like a semi bubble with some trying to cash in at the new prices, I see a stagnation/levelling from here depending on the US appetite for the RHD cars long term.

Bad news if you sold a few years back, no cheap way back in, some NA's going for 5 figures here now!?

Makes sense, forgot that the 25 year requirement was up this year, but 5 Figures for an N/A! I remember when people thought my first N/A manual was overpriced at £4,500 and you could pick up a tatty one for £1,500. I also remember the £5,500 Facelift TT bargain about 6-7 Years ago.

How time flies! I was a fresh faced teenager without a care in the world when I signed up here, now I'm in my thirties with way too many cares :blink:

I've been fortunate enough to go through many cars in the past 10+ years but the Supra is my one constant, when I do sell it I may just swap for a BPU one, easier to enjoy, hell, maybe even an N/A with an LS swap :D

I was 26 now 45! loads of chopping and changing/buying and selling, some real missed opportunities in hindsight but at least I didn't bail completely, I would have been gutted!

Jamie P's black TT that started stock was around £5K on ebay, one of mine has a sales invoice from JM Imports for £6,900 so less Jurgens profit, less vat, less duty, less shipping, how much was that at auction in Japan and it's no basket case far from it!

The £10K NA was a Aerotop and in MSB but even so, saying that ship it across the pond and its a easy few K profit for someone?

Nothing is cheap for them anymore, sales area is getting a bit more cut throat due to supply, usage probably down to protect investments, ok news if you want to sell not so good otherwise really?

Been toying with the idea of selling mine and getting something practical (gasp) but if prices are going to keep going up, might as well keep it for the moment.

Same here, but I think mines going to be on the market once I have finished a full brake system refurb/rebuild and got a fresh MOT. A new business, lack of time due to family and work hours and lack of time driving it are all contributing factors sadly. Will probably regret it in a few years when prices have gone up even more but I never owned it as an investment (good job really with the time and money spent on it lol)

All of the above makes going for a GT86 even more attractive. Been toying coming back to Supra's for a while now but I would only want an NA as looks is all I am interested in and if I do get bored I can easily tinker with it, but had same mind set at you Marc, a V8 swap.

But GT86 is attractive especially how relatively cheap supercharging one is.

Lots I think are considering 'getting out', tempting for us long termers that have possibly had our fill and with the value increase suddenly more options are available.

I too have looked at ISF's and GT86's and thought, newer V8 or nimble/agile contrast for around a straight swap.

Question is will the demand for the high prices continue if we start upping supply above the current barely anything available level? Seems odd to me that new people are coming into ownership now, unless they were simply too young before? Perhaps they just think it's a stable of further increasing market so it doesn't matter?

Indeed. I don't think selling mine will be the end of my Supra ownership though as theres not many cars I have owned with the same character (to me anyway).

Regards prices falling, unlikely I think because even some long termers selling up still wouldn't exactly be flooding the market. My guess is these cars will continue to rise steadily in value but also in ownership costs and ownership demands. Will just mean a different kind of owner I guess.

All of the above makes going for a GT86 even more attractive. Been toying coming back to Supra's for a while now but I would only want an NA as looks is all I am interested in and if I do get bored I can easily tinker with it, but had same mind set at you Marc, a V8 swap.

But GT86 is attractive especially how relatively cheap supercharging one is.

Lots I think are considering 'getting out', tempting for us long termers that have possibly had our fill and with the value increase suddenly more options are available.

I too have looked at ISF's and GT86's and thought, newer V8 or nimble/agile contrast for around a straight swap.

Question is will the demand for the high prices continue if we start upping supply above the current barely anything available level? Seems odd to me that new people are coming into ownership now, unless they were simply too young before? Perhaps they just think it's a stable of further increasing market so it doesn't matter?

Have a look at the Corvettes, I'm besotted with mine(much better than the R8 imo), however you do find after time that your natural answer to pretty much any power question is 'LS swap it!' and you can't comprehend an engine size of less than 3 liters.:D

Might cash in and throw mine out in the US for $50k next year, must be someone out there with more money than sense?? It's only a 94 JDM Auto TT, stock apart from a stubby aerial! :D

I can use the money to get a nice 6spd then ;)

Auto TT, Supraforum guy said $25K easily $30K you might have to wait a while.......

Indeed. I don't think selling mine will be the end of my Supra ownership though as theres not many cars I have owned with the same character (to me anyway).

Agreed but when you are lucky enough to have two, it's almost a no brainer to sell up on one and have a different toy (caterham, V8, SC430!, GT86, Carina E, Pug 205 TD) that gives you a hit of something different.

Agreed but when you are lucky enough to have two, it's almost a no brainer to sell up on one and have a different toy (caterham, V8, SC430!, GT86, Carina E, Pug 205 TD) that gives you a hit of something different.

Agreed! I've got a Dax kit car with a built rs focus motor to finish off!! The missus doesn't appreciate my extensive garage/car time as much nowadays...!

Remember the blasting that some certain members gave other members for pricing their cars high... the silence is deafening ��

Most of those have moved on anyway, but yes.. much of it came from envy or because they didnt get much for theirs thought no one else deserved to sell at what they thought. Oh the fun I had arguing with them :)

do you think that OEM is the best way to be to maintain the value ??

Depends on the car. If its great condition, low miles, and stock-ish, it wants leaving as is. But there will always be those wanting high end modified examples too. Personally I couldn't have a stock one, unless I had also had a modified one, even 'just' BPU dramatically improves the character and performance of the car.