The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Exhaust??

npotts

Tanabe Racing Medallion. I think it was discontinued in the states, I would rather pick up a blitz, or HKS the seem to be more powerful :p

I have a mate in the states who uses a Tanabe medallion on his 900bhp supra.....its one of the most powerfull and free flowing exhausts on the market, hence the name RACING medallion

complete oposite matey........well loud and very very deep, the racing medallion and hks hyper are the two loudest exhasts for the supra!!

Quality exhaust I have one on mine sounds wicked :)

Sorry mate but I disagree! I've heard many exhausts on TT Supra's and the Hiper is NOT among the loudest ones available. IMO from the ones I've heard:

LOUD:

Greddy TI: The dogs knackers

RSR: The loudest I've ever heard bar none, very deep sound though the rev range

Tanabe: Close to NUR at tick over, sounds like the RSR at higher rpm

NUR: Also very loud, very nice burble at low rpm

Medium:

Hiper: One of the best sounding out there, but not too loud

Kakimoto: Very similar to Hiper, sounds great

Quiet:

5Zigen: Little bit louder than normal, slightly higher boost than stock

Stock: QUIET!

The NUR sure does sound good, the only thing that put me off was the drone you get between 3k and 4k rpm and the clearance (if I'd have fitted it the council speed humps would have removed it by now!). The RSR has never caught on anything, in fact the chassis catches first!

Exhausts - funny bit of kit...sound is important but performance is everything. There was an article in Banzai a few months ago about this guy who bolted on a massive exhaust to his drift AE82 (?) Toyota Corolla. He basically experienced a drop in bhp until he reached about 7rpm (in other words - the car would be screaming!).

The lesson is that there is an optimal exhaust configuration, shape, and size to fit the manifold that influences how the exhaust gas from the engine leaves and travels down the pipe. So a lil' 1.4L with a monster exhaust should lose hp as too little gas is produced and it just collects in the exhaust tubing...whereas a 4.2L monster may find that the same exhaust is too small and restrictive...OPTIMAL SIZE is best.