The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MK4 1993 onwards Cobra lowering springs, thoughts?

Rashed

Hi ladies and gents,

Im looking to lower my Supra in the near future and I've come across these Cobra lowering springs, I was hoping to see if anyone had used or heard of these before? 40mm lowered ride height sounds very tempting and the price seems great too!

https://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=1825123086;car=toyotasupra

I have considered the Eibach springs but they dont seem to have a big enough drop to compensate the price.

I have stock shock absorbers at the moment from what I know and if I go for the Bilstein B6 shocks all round I might aswell get some BC coilovers.

Just wanted a nice drop in height for the time being and these Cobra springs seem to have the largest drop I could find.

I have considered the Eibach springs but they dont seem to have a big enough drop to compensate the price.

That is because the Supra will handle like a shopping trolly if you lower it too much. The car isn’t made that way.

I have stock shock absorbers at the moment from what I know and if I go for the Bilstein B6 shocks all round I might aswell get some BC coilovers.

They are not comparable in the slightest. Bilstein are a far superior product, they are OE on almost every high end car. Lotus, Mercedes, Porsche to name but a few. They offer excellent compromises for ride comfort, handling and durability.

Just wanted a nice drop in height for the time being and these Cobra springs seem to have the largest drop I could find.

A lot of aftermarket suspension kits come over sprung so you can lower your car without bottoming out the tyres or worse.

Are looking at form over function? For example; sick blud, u slammed the shiznit outta it.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Thanks for the detailed reply Frank. Im not looking to slam the car to the floor or else I would of got some cheapo ebay coilovers and wound them right down lol

I only compared Bilstein and BC coilovers for costs reason but now that you have said the Bilstein shocks are far more superior which I didnt know and having used BC coilovers on my previous cars I thought them to be pretty good for my use of spirited driving and appearance once set up right.

I just want a nice drop without bottoming out but to me it felt like the Eibach springs were not enough. Im an open minded guy willing to learn and try new things and now that you say the Bilstein B6 shocks and Eibach combo will be pretty damn good due to not being slammed and having superior shocks I may have to start saving :)

If you guys have any more recommendations shoot them my way as Im all eyes and ears!

Right now I have 18" Blitz wheels but Im going to put on a set of OEM TT 17s which I have with stock tyre sizes.

Strictly for road use hence why I want to take ride quality and comfort into consideration when lowering the car.

Ideally the plan is to upgrade a few things here and there to do with brakes, suspension and power and just enjoy the car for what it is without going too crazy and destroying it lol

Right now I have 18" Blitz wheels but Im going to put on a set of OEM TT 17s which I have with stock tyre sizes.

Strictly for road use hence why I want to take ride quality and comfort into consideration when lowering the car.

Ideally the plan is to upgrade a few things here and there to do with brakes, suspension and power and just enjoy the car for what it is without going too crazy and destroying it lol

If you are going back to OEM 17’s then I would highly recommend you get in touch with Chris Wilson and ask him about his re-valved Bilsteins, springs and geometry set up.

For the money (around a grand give or take) nothing can touch them, Chris will make the car handle like it’s on rails.

I’ve had B6/CW springs before and have just bought B6/Eibachs to replace some Teins that came on my latest car. They are well priced setup I think (£510+255 delivered)

Would be interested in the blitz wheels eventually if you are thinking of selling

/QUOTE]

Could you do me a favour if you havent fitted the Eibach springs already? Could you measure the dimensions from top to bottom and let me know the sizes? I have a set of lowering springs on a set of supra shocks that are black but dont have any markings on them or anything to identify what lowering springs they are, all I know is Eibach lowering springs are black unlike most other lowering springs which are red so Im thinking these ones I have could be Eibach? Thanks :)

Also once I have the Blitz technospeed wheels off I'll get a for sale post up with full specs etc and price if you're interested later on down the line