The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Time for a respray!

Mk4Gaz

So at 22 years old, the supra was starting to look a little tired in places. In general, the paint is still very good, but various stone chips and the very beginning of some minor corrosion has made me take the plunge into giving it a new splash of colour for the future.....

I decided to stay with the original 3l2 red, as it's a lovely colour, and I specifically wanted a red supra during my searches some 5 years ago when I bagged this one.

Many of you know the car, and the amount of buggering about I do with it, but no amount of polish was going to get it looking how I wanted it.

So, I'm also keeping the same styling, and I managed to bag a spare pair of doors, and trial rear bumper, that I could paint prior to taking the supra to my workshop, which will make reassembly much easier. Unfortunately my unit isn't big enough to paint everything at the same time, so I've been doing bits over the last few weekends, so that once the body is done, I can bolt the fresh pieces on, and my original parts will be kept as spares, or sold on - I haven't decided yet!

The trial rear bumper and doors I picked up were in pretty good condition, and didn't take too much prep to get ready for paint.

imageimageimageimage

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this weekend has mostly consisted of moving everything around, getting the car in, and stripping it down. I've got a bit more to do next weekend, before I start prepping it for paint.

I also welded up the aerial hole on the rear quarter, and plan to do the same with the rear wiper hole on the tailgate.

She looks really sorry for herself [emoji24], but good things to come! imageimageimageimage

Well done on taking up the work mate. Looks swell in the thumbs up photo. Thats the finish you want in all the panels.

Is it possible to assist me with a photo showing the bonnet latch cable to where it runs under the driver side fender? I tried mounting up mine temporarily but I was left with too much cable or loose cable should I say. I am trying to figure out the correct routing for it as I dont have the plastic wheel well arches.

Looking awesome mate, hat's off to you. How are you spraying your parts? Do you have a tent in your garage?

/QUOTE] Cheers buddy. There's no tent in there, I covered the roof with insulation and white plastic sheeting last winter, to stop crap dropping down constantly!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Well done on taking up the work mate. Looks swell in the thumbs up photo. Thats the finish you want in all the panels.

Is it possible to assist me with a photo showing the bonnet latch cable to where it runs under the driver side fender? I tried mounting up mine temporarily but I was left with too much cable or loose cable should I say. I am trying to figure out the correct routing for it as I dont have the plastic wheel well arches.

Thanks dude, of course I will, but I won't be back there until Saturday. I only get weekends to work on it, as it's not my day job

I'm just starting this process myself, are you using 2k clear over basecoat? what brand paints are you using? you had any issues so far?
Yes mate, I get my paint from a local supplier, who mix it on the premises, and isn't branded per se, apart from their own label on the tin.

The clear I'm using is autoclear 496, and goes on lovely [emoji106]

I've also heard good things about max meyer paints, but I've never used them.

Cheers buddy. There's no tent in there, I covered the roof with insulation and white plastic sheeting last winter, to stop crap dropping down constantly!

/QUOTE]Do you get a lot of over spray in your garage? Do you have an extractor? Really curious on your setup? As your results look great!

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Do you get a lot of over spray in your garage? Do you have an extractor? Really curious on your setup? As your results look great!

/QUOTE]It's not too bad tbh, I don't have an extractor, but leave the door slightly ajar. My workshop is at the back end of a farm, so no neighbours to upset [emoji23]

Obviously I wear proper ppe, and a 3m mask with disposable filters for organic vapour. I don't do it for a living, so don't need to go to mad.

I've been spraying my own bits for about 10 years, but not tackled something this big before. Technique and finishing comes with practice, which I've gotten pretty good at. Fortunately I have time on my side, and don't have to rush, although I do need to get it done before the cold weather starts to set in. I'd love to do it full time, with a proper booth etc, but I'm too old to think about a career change now [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Yes mate, I get my paint from a local supplier, who mix it on the premises, and isn't branded per se, apart from their own label on the tin.

The clear I'm using is autoclear 496, and goes on lovely [emoji106]

I've also heard good things about max meyer paints, but I've never used them.

/QUOTE]

The finish you've achieved is very impressive. I have been looking at using the max meyer products, as I too have heard good things, particularly their 0300 HS clear, but will have a read up about this autoclear 496. Have you had any issues with dirt and debris getting into the paint?

The finish you've achieved is very impressive. I have been looking at using the max meyer products, as I too have heard good things, particularly their 0300 HS clear, but will have a read up about this autoclear 496. Have you had any issues with dirt and debris getting into the paint?
Yes, invariably without a proper booth and extraction, there will always be shit landing in it. But, wet sanding and buffing normally takes care of it [emoji106]

Yes, invariably without a proper booth and extraction, there will always be shit landing in it. But, wet sanding and buffing normally takes care of it [emoji106]

/QUOTE]

Yes, one of the reasons I have been looking at the max meyer 0300 clear, is because of it's high solids content, the application can be done with one medium coat, and then straight into 2nd full coat, and that's it, which should minimise dirt being embedded within the layers of clear, any dirt should just be surface which will be easy to cut and buff out.

Yes, one of the reasons I have been looking at the max meyer 0300 clear, is because of it's high solids content, the application can be done with one medium coat, and then straight into 2nd full coat, and that's it, which should minimise dirt being embedded within the layers of clear, any dirt should just be surface which will be easy to cut and buff out.
The 496 is also a hs clear. I tend to lay a mist coat, then a medium wet, then a full wet with about 30mins flash in between - of course this greatly depends on temperature.