The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speedhunters - Wider Is Better: TRD’s 3000GT

Frank Bullitt

Does anybody know why they were built and where they are now?

They were rejected Supras of the production line and were handed over to TRD to be rebuilt. Hence fibreglass rear arches etc. Not sure if it was 30 becuase theres JDM and USDM official ones out there

Kevin apparently TRD had made a number of kit parts so people could purchase them and fit it themselves. You just wouldn't have the tag or plaque proving that it is a TRD car or the parts fitted by TRD to authenticate the car. Auto cars only had the 320 speedo and the fuel & water gauge however manual had all the clocks including the 10k rpm. From what I know all cars had the TRD steering wheels, air bag spec with the air bag wheel and non air bag with the Nardi TRD wheel. They also had two variants of the wheels on the car from what I have seen on a few models.

Mine has a kit on it from a company in the USA which makes the parts for a lot more cheaper and the fact that oem TRD JZA80 parts are now all discontinued from what I am aware of.

As you mentioned, yes there are JDM and USDM cars. I know of one that is in the UAE and black in colour. Looks exactly like this model car bar the steering and rear tail lamps.

They were rejected Supras of the production line and were handed over to TRD to be rebuilt. Hence fibreglass rear arches etc. Not sure if it was 30 becuase theres JDM and USDM official ones out there

Why do you think that , the kit is made out of FRP (fiber reinforced polymers) , Reinforcement can be fibers of glass/carbon/aramid etc. not your common fibreglass kit, the purpose behind FRP was due to weight redution over steel

The purpose of the kit was for JGTC

The kit was all about properly functioning aerodynamics as opposed to outright speed, with Toyota investing a lot more financially into developing the 3000GT kit than previous attempts, using wind tunnel testing and 3D simulations to gain the best compromise between functionality and appearance.

The JGTC Supra wore the 3000GT aero parts in the final race of the '94 season, which would lead TRD to further hone the aero parts to gain the best performance possible.

You could bring your Supra to Toyota Technocraft to have the kit installed , they offered a conversion service to transform these cars into a TRD3000GT, similar to the ZTune Kitted Skylines and Nismo Omori Factory

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Thats what I always read and heard. Never heard the car to be a defect off the line and then sent to a performance division to cover it up or improve it so to speak. Thanks Jelly Bean. Dunk any photos of your car mate? This Jelly bean's is super sexy

Its not mine anymore, sold it to a jap car importer in France in 2013 but this was my car

DSCF0441.JPG

dunk001.jpg

Supra rd trip to Castle Coombe.jpg

Ironically I have that last photo on my cellphone from years ago lol. Looked nice mate. No regrets?

I had the car for over 13 yrs so was just about time to sell, was a great car but in hindsight perhaps i should of

kept it seeing where prices have gone but you can't do that.

My biggest regret is seeing it with batman stickers stuck on it

The JGTC Supra wore the 3000GT aero parts in the final race of the '94 season, which would lead TRD to further hone the aero parts to gain the best performance possible.

Got any evidence or pics of this? Would be interesting to see as the JGTC cars look a lot more extreme than the TRD kit - having said that the Supra that ran in Le Mans years later seemed to use it but for the wing and some extra cutting/widening to the fenders.

This is perhaps?

Edited by Bobbeh (see edit history)

Got any evidence or pics of this? Would be interesting to see as the JGTC cars look a lot more extreme than the TRD kit - having said that the Supra that ran in Le Mans years later seemed to use it but for the wing and some extra cutting/widening to the fenders.

This is perhaps?

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/09/66.jpg

Thats some hillbilly replica

This is perhaps?

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/09/66.jpg

Is any of that TRD ?

Info is on here , but webiste did have more when I checked a few years ago

http://www.toyota-ttc.co.jp/history/trd.html

**Google Translate

Debuted in the 4th round of the All Japan GT Championship held at Sportsland SUGO. He won the second prize in qualifying and declared the first game.

Announced "TRD 3000 GT" equipped with the same aero as the GT 500 machine based on SUPRA

1995 All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship

1997 All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Why do you think that , the kit is made out of FRP (fiber reinforced polymers) , Reinforcement can be fibers of glass/carbon/aramid etc. not your common fibreglass kit, the purpose behind FRP was due to weight redution over steel

The purpose of the kit was for JGTC

The kit was all about properly functioning aerodynamics as opposed to outright speed, with Toyota investing a lot more financially into developing the 3000GT kit than previous attempts, using wind tunnel testing and 3D simulations to gain the best compromise between functionality and appearance.

You could bring your Supra to Toyota Technocraft to have the kit installed , they offered a conversion service to transform these cars into a TRD3000GT, similar to the ZTune Kitted Skylines and Nismo Omori Factory

I remember a big read on it years and years ago. And thats what was said that happened to the ones trd built. Always stayed with me. Proof would be better though and a reject of the production line could be anything from a leaking seal to a non starter

I love my TRD

When I get a new supra in a few years, I will look to do the TRD again.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/09/2.png

[ATTACH]229111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]229112[/ATTACH]

Was that built by Jezz? If it were i remember it outside my house...spoilerless..cf top secret hood and a cream uk interior. Got the kit of jake back then who had 3 supras. I remember the ressurection well :cool: