The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speeding technology "v" fast car future?

herbiemercman

Hi Dudes, I just got done with a "Sniper Van" on the A1 in North Yorkshire, just 7 mph over the 70mph limit, so £100 and three points. So for 7 mph less i would be driving safely on an open road on a quiet afternoon. A friend of mine runs "speed awareness" cources and he was telling me in just one hotel in Leyland they are running the cource for circa 1,000 motorists per week, he also said the great majority of motorists were women and in the 34 to 36 mph prosecution limit.

Yes a legal way of making easy money, £100 fine and 3 penalty points, and in some casses people losing their jobs. The justification is road safety, lol, the sniper vans are everywhere and no history of accidents etc to support their necessity, and in many casses they do not put out the speed camera waring signs, which is entrapment.

Anyway i like my car but i am not a poser or a polisher and for the main reason of having a car like this, it looks like technology and the local Authorities need to raise easy money is going to kill the job. What do you think? Herbie.

It sucks, and I sympathise, but its the world we live in these days. Seems like all new roads and developments on roads are having cameras fitted as standard, or put up for roadworks and then left up permanently.

Its not really entrapment, they're not exactly forcing you to speed.. its sly and sneaky but thats the whole point... I bet they're catching much worse than you too!

Not sure how many local authorities have changed their tolerances since the new fines and bands were introduced. I went past a scamera van on the A11 in Norfolk a month or so ago at just under 80. Never heard anything so maybe they're still using the 10% +2 rule? Have you actually had the ticket through the post yet?

I got caught by one of those vans so I don't have a front number plate anymore.

I don't intentionally speed past them but it's saved me on at least one occasion since!

I fully agree with having them in certain areas, but money making on open roads is just unnecessary.

I've been pulled over a couple of times but I've found as long as you're nice enough to the officer and you come up with a better story then "it fell off" it's all good lol

There is a reflective glaze laquer made in the USA which is circa 12 dollars it is claimed to avoid your front number plate being photographed, i tried the stuff on my Merc, but it did not work as i got knapped two weeks back on the A1 in north yorkshire with a "sniper van".

In my biking days we used black pvc tape to alter the alpha numerics and this does work, BUT in those days a number plate infringement was not considered a moving traffic offence, and now i believe it is since the NPR (number plate recognition) system was introduced, this system got rid of the tax discs and allowed the authorities, police and the ever increasing local council money grabbing sniper vans to check your, speed, your mot and if you have paid your road tax, the number plate is also used for congestion charges in cities, parking offences etc, so the powers that be rely heavily on this plastic rectangle to make money, it is so easy for them, it is a stealth tax. Herbie.

What other excuse is there for not having the plate fitted ?

Could be a risky game if you got the jobs worth police man, up to £1k fine

Just display an incorrect one in that case, £100 fine is all that you can get. Not that I advise any breaking of the law in the first place, of course!

Money can't buy, love, health or friendship, most other things are not a problem, the number plate fine would be likely to be circa £500 for a first offence, but could be a grand like Dunk points out, however it could be that avoiding losing your licence, and your job, making life difficult for your family etc would warrant forking out the dosh.

I have been pulled over in the past for my IOM plates i was just told to change them within 5 days and then show at my local plod office, so eventually i fitted the full bs 145a plate at the rear as this is where they do the NPR checks. Herbie.