The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Long Term Storage

Kendo11

I'm moving abroad in a few weeks and haven't decided what I'm doing with the car yet.

If I go down the storage route (if I can find somewhere dry and secure) what do I need to do with the car? I don't want it sat there rotting away but do kind of want to just leave it in place secure.

Is it a good idea to remove fuel and any other fluids? Should I do something in the interior to prevent mould/decay? What about tyres/battery etc.?

I could be abroad for two years and there's no guarantee I'd be back at any point in that time to shake off any cobwebs.

Appreciate any advice.

Evin has pretty much covered it but it'd be best to find somewhere were someone can move the car at least once a month. It only needs moving 50 yards forward and back. That'd retain the boundary lubrication on all the engine and transmission parts throughout any term storage and prevent flat spots forming on tyres. After a couple of years anything not immersed in oil will be then be very much on a dry start. In the old days a common ploy was to add a squirt of diesel to the bore of an engine that had been stood to lubricate the cylinders and oiling the cam/rockers then hand rotate the engine a few revolutions before attempting to start the engine.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I'm moving abroad in a few weeks and haven't decided what I'm doing with the car yet.

If I go down the storage route (if I can find somewhere dry and secure) what do I need to do with the car? I don't want it sat there rotting away but do kind of want to just leave it in place secure.

Is it a good idea to remove fuel and any other fluids? Should I do something in the interior to prevent mould/decay? What about tyres/battery etc.?

I could be abroad for two years and there's no guarantee I'd be back at any point in that time to shake off any cobwebs.

Appreciate any advice.

Leaving it a bit late to sort lol

Do you have any mates you trust to run it up every month or so whilst it is in storage?

If it's somewhere dry just leave it as is, with battery disconnected. I have bought classic cars that have fired up on 20 year old plus fuel. 2 years is nothing. No need or point in axle stands, just bung 45 PSI in the tyres.

There is need. The handbrake mechanism on a 20+ year old car will seize up pretty quickly if it hasnt been refreshed in there. Modern fuel will go bad sitting stagnent in a matter of months. And depending on how old his tyres are already they will more or less dry rot on the side walls in 2 years of no use. So to prolong the handbrake mech and tyres the axle stands will be needed

There is need. The handbrake mechanism on a 20+ year old car will seize up pretty quickly if it hasnt been refreshed in there. Modern fuel will go bad sitting stagnent in a matter of months. And depending on how old his tyres are already they will more or less dry rot on the side walls in 2 years of no use. So to prolong the handbrake mech and tyres the axle stands will be needed

But leaving a car on axle stands with suspension in full droop is far more impacting on the bushes and especially ARB's.

As Chris said, put the tyres up to transition pressures (60psi at JLR) to prevent any flatspotting, remove the battery and be done with it.

But leaving a car on axle stands with suspension in full droop is far more impacting on the bushes and especially ARB's.

As Chris said, put the tyres up to transition pressures (60psi at JLR) to prevent any flatspotting, remove the battery and be done with it.

The arbs are soild bushes i doubt they will get much more wear with some strain on them while stationary. Even the drop links. Better for the shocks to being lifted. Ever seen a barn find with failed shocks? All the time.

Thanks for the responses guys.

The chap I know has offered to store it and fire it up and move it from time to time hopefully to stop anything seizing. Ideally I'd like it kept in the state it goes into storage rather than any deterioration.