The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW E60 V10 - any experiences ?

Sheefa

Yep great car the crank shaft bearings can cause problems but they can be changed without moving engine also they suffer from lumpy gearbox changes when city driving I had mine reprogrammed it was better but still there, i then sold it and moved on to 530d m sport a much better car for me considering I only use 6 months of the year due to being away for work

I have an E61 M5 that'll I'll be actually selling soon, I haven't put much mileage on it so can't comment on reliability other than what you read on the forums but they are a cracking car, that V10 really is a peach of an engine, nothing beats it for sound high in rev range. I did prefer my E46 M3 to it but they're different types of vehicles, if I had a family the M5 would easily be my choice. Fuel consumption is beyond terrible but that's just something you've to live with buying the car.

I have an E61 M5 that'll I'll be actually selling soon, I haven't put much mileage on it so can't comment on reliability other than what you read on the forums but they are a cracking car, that V10 really is a peach of an engine, nothing beats it for sound high in rev range. I did prefer my E46 M3 to it but they're different types of vehicles, if I had a family the M5 would easily be my choice. Fuel consumption is beyond terrible but that's just something you've to live with buying the car.

Someone used to drive past my workplace a couple of years ago in a V10 M5 and it was the most incredible engine note I've heard outside of Santa Pod. He liked to give it some beans too. Awesome.

This stock one sounds lame in comparison to how it could with an aftermarket exhaust but then you're waking up your neighbours like the oyks we get round here on their quad bikes and mopeds that should seriously not be allowed to breed......

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

Mate if theres a car out there with known engine issues yoy need to get it out of your head. Would you buy a house in a area thats known for robbries? BMW are always doing this to its customers..which is why ill never own one.

Mate your missing out big time. BMW's ARE THE BEST :D

I've owned a few Bimmers in my time & I get YES they can be problemtic - especially an E60 M5 as it needs engine rebuilds and lives most of it's life in a garage (Which is why I haven't got one yet)

However, I've owned quite a few Bimmers and the overall quality and design and feedback you get from a Bimmer is a level above any of it's rivals. Especially if we compare the golden generation which I consider to be the e38, e39 & e46 etc they sh*t on the rest of it's rivals from that period.

Audi have only become good recently and Mercedes steering feedback I always find too light.

BMW E38 7 series were a car that were well ahead of it's time. They are one of the best built cars, comfortable, luxury & effortless to drive with strong build quality. I pretty much had every single model - 728, 735,740 and a handful of 750i and ils totalling 17 in my ownership. Just sold my BMW 750IL Motor Show Car 1 of 3 today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLD/323382521346?hash=item4b4b19ae02:g:IMcAAOSwDcZbLm6c

Yes they all have common issues such as head gaskets going on the V12's, guides neeed changing on the V8's and all sorts of electrical problems BUT the fact that they drive so good means you will always go back to BMW.

I had an e46 M3 manual, which was very reliable and didn't have as many problems as the E38's... but the only off putting thing was they are almost like V-tecs by having to redline to get any sort of decent power.

Out of the Bimmers I have owned from the golden gen of the 2000s I'd say the e39 M5 is overall the best car for performance & handling. I also owned the Mercedes E55 WK211 AMG Supercharged which was amazing in the a straight line but not the best on bends (Steering wheel on these cars felt like I was steering a ship) & I even lined them up against each other & I just preferred the E39 M5 every time. 6 speed manual with Eisenmann race exhausts is one that can't simply beaten.

I currently own a BMW F30 335D remapped to a healthy 380bhp, lowered with stiffer springs & Michelin Pilot Super Sports and it handles on rails. Such a reliable car, as long as you service these cars with regular oil change etc these cars can go on and on. Transfers box's can go when you mess with the set up and start to put too much strain like my mate has with a wagner intercooler on his 435D. But then every car will go if you drive the way he does - drives his car from from Glasgow to Manchester every other weekend sitting at daft speed, hitting 60 under 3.6 seconds then yes you will eventually have a problem. But when you smoke AMG,s RS3's & even M3's off the line and in top end with a car that averages 30mpg in race mode and 55mpg in cruise what car can beat that?

My current weekend car is an Audi RS4 B7 Saloon with Milteks & brings me so much joy but sadly has a drinking problem. Even if I drive like a granny which I rarely do it still sucks on fuel!

Rant over :innocent:

P.S back to the 0P. If you are to get an E60 M5 make sure you get the LCI. Far better in every way. Revised gearbox etc.

My brothers had a 525D PRE LCI & it was a dog, slow gearbox change and didn't like it, also it never helped as he bought the car from auction (Copart private seller) & was never looked after and so he had to change quite a few parts before I told him to get rid!

He then got an e60 BMW 530D LCI in Le Mans Blue which was well maintained and I absolutely loved it and it never gave him headache. LCI command double the market value of a pre LCI but when you drive them both you begin to understand why. Sports gearbox is a lot better.

I'm still tempted to get an M5 E60 as the sound on them can't simply be beaten.

Edited by Supra2jze (see edit history)

Mate your missing out big time. BMW's ARE THE BEST :D

I've owned a few Bimmers in my time & I get YES they can be problemtic - especially an E60 M5 as it needs engine rebuilds and lives most of it's life in a garage (Which is why I haven't got one yet)

However, I've owned quite a few Bimmers and the overall quality and design and feedback you get from a Bimmer is a level above any of it's rivals. Especially if we compare the golden generation which I consider to be the e38, e39 & e46 etc they sh*t on the rest of it's rivals from that period.

Audi have only become good recently and Mercedes steering feedback I always find too light.

BMW E38 7 series were a car that were well ahead of it's time. They are one of the best built cars, comfortable, luxury & effortless to drive with strong build quality. I pretty much had every single model - 728, 735,740 and a handful of 750i and ils totalling 17 in my ownership. Just sold my BMW 750IL Motor Show Car 1 of 3 today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLD/323382521346?hash=item4b4b19ae02:g:IMcAAOSwDcZbLm6c

Yes they all have common issues such as head gaskets going on the V12's, guides neeed changing on the V8's and all sorts of electrical problems BUT the fact that they drive so good means you will always go back to BMW.

I had an e46 M3 manual, which was very reliable and didn't have as many problems as the E38's... but the only off putting thing was they are almost like V-tecs by having to redline to get any sort of decent power.

Out of the Bimmers I have owned from the golden gen of the 2000s I'd say the e39 M5 is overall the best car for performance & handling. I also owned the Mercedes E55 WK211 AMG Supercharged which was amazing in the a straight line but not the best on bends (Steering wheel on these cars felt like I was steering a ship) & I even lined them up against each other & I just preferred the E39 M5 every time. 6 speed manual with Eisenmann race exhausts is one that can't simply beaten.

I currently own a BMW F30 335D remapped to a healthy 380bhp, lowered with stiffer springs & Michelin Pilot Super Sports and it handles on rails. Such a reliable car, as long as you service these cars with regular oil change etc these cars can go on and on. Transfers box's can go when you mess with the set up and start to put too much strain like my mate has with a wagner intercooler on his 435D. But then every car will go if you drive the way he does - drives his car from from Glasgow to Manchester every other weekend sitting at daft speed, hitting 60 under 3.6 seconds then yes you will eventually have a problem. But when you smoke AMG,s RS3's & even M3's off the line and in top end with a car that averages 30mpg in race mode and 55mpg in cruise what car can beat that?

My current weekend car is an Audi RS4 B7 Saloon with Milteks & brings me so much joy but sadly has a drinking problem. Even if I drive like a granny which I rarely do it still sucks on fuel!

Rant over :innocent:

P.S back to the 0P. If you are to get an E60 M5 make sure you get the LCI. Far better in every way. Revised gearbox etc.

My brothers had a 525D PRE LCI & it was a dog, slow gearbox change and didn't like it, also it never helped as he bought the car from auction (Copart private seller) & was never looked after and so he had to change quite a few parts before I told him to get rid!

He then got an e60 BMW 530D LCI in Le Mans Blue which was well maintained and I absolutely loved it and it never gave him headache. LCI command double the market value of a pre LCI but when you drive them both you begin to understand why. Sports gearbox is a lot better.

I'm still tempted to get an M5 E60 as the sound on them can't simply be beaten.

Over the years i have had the dis pleasure of trying to fault find and tinker with BMWs. From body repairs and stupid clips to even trying to pin point a simple leak. Covers here plates there, sensors every where. Fault codes galore and even finding out that a timing chain needed to be replaced on one...and to my horror finding out the chain was at the back of the engine. Great design! Not.

In all honestly they all look the same to me. Its that pig nose grill and stupid badge above them. When someone says 318 9 10 11 12 i honestly cant put a image to the name. Definatley a status car on the roads as the amount of idiots ive crossed either want or have one.

The jokes out there about bmws not having idicators and being right up behind someones tail on the fast lane became common jokes becuse they are true.

I truely hate those things and will honestly never own one.

Rant over. Sorry :D

Hey Kevin sounds a bit true there mate though no experience with an M5 but the E36 and 46 M3 yes. I too agree with you on the problems with their cars. Engine issues, oil pump or gearbox woes. I wont lie but the V10 engines were always nice to hear. The BM in question by Sheefa I am sure is the 1 I saw this past weekend at the track. Lovely take off and engine note. Wasn't bothered too much so don't know 1/4 mile time and 800m and kilometre exit speeds either.

I own an AMG mercedez and touch wood, they are great cars. Sounds good and drives superbly. Gas mileage out the window but hey, you cant buy a sports car and expect great mileage now can you?

Hope you get a better answer Sheefa. Maybe go test drive one and see. Then visit a dealership and see if you can ask the manager for advice or a technician that may have worked on them and knows the common issues.

Hello,

My dad currently has one. He’s owned it for a number of years. In 3 months he had an issue, it’s a common fault I know there’s two of them one on each side of the engine maybe the actuators. It cost like £1000 for one but when this was replaced the bloke also changed something else that’s cost £350/£450 the car was fixed but soon after the other one went so that was another £1000 so he spent like £2,500 ish in 6 months. Check these have been fixed if you are looking at one, other than that he got the clutch changed, after this it’s been perfect. I think the cars done around 75,000 miles but it’s probably one of the best specs it has heated ventilated seats and the bolsters move when turning, heads up display, suade roof so on but not all of them have this.

Regardless of the faults my dad loves the car, stuff like that doesn’t bother him he gets it fixed and enjoys himself. Every car has its common faults some are more realiable than others, It’s a fun car to drive more fun than a C6 or C7 Audi RS6, it sounds amazing as well and if you like a subtle looking car it’s ideal although I think the front looks plain a front splitter would definitely make it look smarter.

My dad bought and sold cars and he would say that Bmw do have more electrical faults, more than merc who are close behind but Audi are more reliable overall but the drive is bland compared to Merc and Bmw.

Hello,

My dad currently has one. He’s owned it for a number of years. In 3 months he had an issue, it’s a common fault I know there’s two of them one on each side of the engine maybe the actuators. It cost like £1000 for one but when this was replaced the bloke also changed something else that’s cost £350/£450 the car was fixed but soon after the other one went so that was another £1000 so he spent like £2,500 ish in 6 months. Check these have been fixed if you are looking at one, other than that he got the clutch changed, after this it’s been perfect. I think the cars done around 75,000 miles but it’s probably one of the best specs it has heated ventilated seats and the bolsters move when turning, heads up display, suade roof so on but not all of them have this.

Regardless of the faults my dad loves the car, stuff like that doesn’t bother him he gets it fixed and enjoys himself. Every car has its common faults some are more realiable than others, It’s a fun car to drive more fun than a C6 or C7 Audi RS6, it sounds amazing as well and if you like a subtle looking car it’s ideal although I think the front looks plain a front splitter would definitely make it look smarter.

My dad bought and sold cars and he would say that Bmw do have more electrical faults, more than merc who are close behind but Audi are more reliable overall but the drive is bland compared to Merc and Bmw.

Nadeem?

Rod bearings seem to be overhyped as failures on these, especially when compared to the M5 V10 motor.

You're right about the throttle actuators though, had mine replaced last week :-(

My throttle actuators being replaced next week. :(

Still worth it. :D

I follow this guy on twitter, @markricconi - he is a photographer for top gear and has an E61 M5.

Have a scroll through his timeline from last week to a few months ago and you will see his car on the back of a flatbed at least half a dozen times. Latest tweet about it was a joke saying when the recovery guy arrived to uplift he was asking him, how’s the wife and kids?, how was that holiday? Etc.

His car has a BMW warranty and he showed some of the invoices including one for a new engine that were eye watering.

I don’t know if the reliability of the car is worsened for him because he is using main dealers to maintain his car. In my experience they are incompetent liars. (Sure not all like that, but I’m not alone in thinking that)

He says it’s out of this world; when it works.

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

Mate if theres a car out there with known engine issues yoy need to get it out of your head. Would you buy a house in a area thats known for robbries? BMW are always doing this to its customers..which is why ill never own one.

As said by others, you can't judge a brand over all by a couple of bad eggs in their history. A lot of issues come out over an extended period of time and trying something new and more efficient, may be at the expense of reliability.

I have two BMW's on my drive and both get a fair thrashing when used. The Z4M has had hardly any issues bar a sticking caliper at 58k miles and the parking sensors are playing up, not bad for nearly 4 years and 10k miles. The 330Ci has been thrashed on different track days and the engine is sweet as a nut at 102k miles.

Personally for Sheefa, I would never be brave enough to go for the E60 M5 as there are just too many £££ needed if you have a problem. Great car and a wonderful experience but there could be some serious pain at the end of the rainbow.

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)