The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best tyres

Fulcrum2000

I'm wondering what the best tyres for performance but with some wet weather handling are. When I shoe'd mine after I bought it I went on the government ratings for best braking distances and put Pirelli 235 pzeros front and Falken 275s on the back. These either equalled or out performed all other 18s on the site i went on for braking when I checked. But for performance all round I suspect Pirellis are going to be the best. Softer and quicker wearing but gripper?

I've had a few over the years and currently have the following:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on 335d Xdrive - replacement for the Pilot Supersports last year. The MS4s are awesome and offer plenty of wet weather grip too although I'm already nearly 3/4 through a set in under 12k miles on the rear! My original MSS tyres lasted 33k and offered bundles of grip. So I have purchased a new set of MSS rears to go on when needed. I highly recommend both tyres for excellent traction, grip in all weather and minimal road noise.

On the Supra I have Toyo T1-R Proxies and I have to say they're amazing too. I don't have any issues putting the 800ish power down, albeit the Giken Diff helps, and they give plenty of confidence when cornering and exiting at speed. I'm really impressed with them and have covered around 4k miles.

Greg

But for performance all round I suspect Pirellis are going to be the best. Softer and quicker wearing but gripper?

Therein lies the rub, performance tyres means different things to different people.

I personally go Bridgestone because they hold onto their rubber better than most and are quieter than most. The Supra is a noisy road car with most roads being surface dressed with chippings these days especially if wider lower profile than OE spec tyres are used, which they almost always are. I found as i got older over the 20 years with the car where I've used Falken, Goodyear, Michelin, Continental, Pirelli and Bridgestone tyres the lower the tyre noise generated became increasingly desirable as the desire for 150mph runs and tyre spinning became a less over time. Its probably an age related choice.

I haveva few.

Vredesteins are good and obviously Goodyear and Michelin.

Currently running with Toyo on the front and Goodyear Eagle F1 on the back on none standard 17 inch wheels.

I did have a Pirelli winter tyre on the back for a while but didnt like them. Seemed to be fairly slippy.

Just had a full set of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s fitted a couple of weeks ago, think they are a very good tyre and the side wall looks good.

Haven’t had an opportunity to see how good they are in the wet so far, but the reviews say they are excellent.

I’ve always thought Vredestein are a great tyre aswell, that’s what I had before on the Volks and what I have on my winter wheels.

If your on a budget falken azensis fk510 you would have to be on a track imo to see any difference from the premium brands, hankook ventus another fantastic tire.

Hankook ventus v12 evo tyres are excellent!

No one ever mentions them, but they are a serious contender

If your on a budget falken azensis fk510 you would have to be on a track imo to see any difference from the premium brands, hankook ventus another fantastic tire.

I had a set of these on the Lexus, they were crap in the wet compared to the Pilot Sport 4. Was a dramatic difference in wet grip.

Just had a full set of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s fitted a couple of weeks ago, think they are a very good tyre and the side wall looks good.

Haven’t had an opportunity to see how good they are in the wet so far, but the reviews say they are excellent.

I’ve always thought Vredestein are a great tyre aswell, that’s what I had before on the Volks and what I have on my winter wheels.

Have to agree, Vredestein are a good make

I had a set of these on the Lexus, they were crap in the wet compared to the Pilot Sport 4. Was a dramatic difference in wet grip.

I do upwards of 50k yr have done for last 20yrs I have ran every make brand tires, the new and latest falken fk510 is as good a tire as I have used wet or dry. A rated tire there is you tube video of best tires 2018 it was in top 3.