The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoke on idle when hot

sidewaysdan

Took the car out today first time in a few weeks. Had a good run and some full boost runs. Came home and noticed light smoke coming out exhaust .

/QUOTE]

Reads like an oil seal or cracked housing on the turbo starting to leak oil into the engine inlet.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so the car doesn’t seem to be smoking anymore. Took the intake off and no play or oil so looks to be ok . But I am now looking to change the turbo now as it’s been in a few years and it is a xs-power one so won’t heart. Was looking for some advice on what to go for. Currently have a t61 70/68 what would be a good upgrade .. been looking at bw s366 I’m looking for a fast spooling for a Max of 600hp

Ok so the car doesn’t seem to be smoking anymore. Took the intake off and no play or oil so looks to be ok . But I am now looking to change the turbo now as it’s been in a few years and it is a xs-power one so won’t heart. Was looking for some advice on what to go for. Currently have a t61 70/68 what would be a good upgrade .. been looking at bw s366 I’m looking for a fast spooling for a Max of 600hp
Hi mate

For the price a journal Precision 6266 is an awesome upgrade with up to 700ish BHP. Can be had for £700-900. Very good spool and power. Check Turtleheads (James) Dyno graph in Dyno section. That would be my choice bud.

Get that shitty XS turbo off!

Greg

• 1 month later...

So the sarga continues. I’ve not use the sup in a few weeks now as I’ve been really busy but after finishing my garage I moved the car out and let it run for a few minutes and it started to smoke again but quiet bad this time. Even more so when I gave it a little blip of the gas.. is this still likely to be turbo related.. or something more serious.

Hello mate. Yeah heard some good things with bw and see a few of the guys on here run them with no problems.. not really mate. Maybe 600. Think that will be the limit on my auto box. Been looking at the s300sx

The Hybrid transmission you have in your Supra doesn't have shimmed accumulators.

Before you go fitting a bigger turbo, the accumulators will need shimming or the box won't stand a chance.

The P to D bump could be sorted at the same time.

Your Supra has Hybrid transmission no. 3, which was built before I began also shimming the accumulators.

Hybrids that are also shimmed are from no. 5 onward, retrofitted to no. 1.

Hybrids without the P to D bump are from no. 13 onward, with the bump curing GE C-0 accumulator conversion retrofitted to no's 1, 7 & 9.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=91&do=discuss

I don't get much feedback, but I do keep records of the Hybrids as best I can.

Edited by David P (see edit history)