The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anodised wheels

turnerjr

Hi all. Can anyone please help me before I loose my mind! I ran out of ralent parking on saturday and for the first time in my life Ive managed to curb a wheel. Just my luck that it would be one of my shiney new works wheels 😔 Ive flattened the damage out, it was only a minor graze, but apparently these wheels are anodised, so you can now see where Ive polished the lip and where the anodising finishes. I’ve spoke to many wheel places today (including Ibrar, thanks for your help buddy) but so far I have 2 options. new wheel at £600 or new barrel for £380. seems a bit extreme for a 10” graze. surely there must be a cheaper alternative? 😩

In a word no. Unfortunately it’s the nature of the beast and main reason many won’t go for an anodised wheel. Damage is mucho £££’s to repair.

See here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?343633-Anodised-Work-wheels-scratched-by-Mr-Tyre-fitter

It all depends how much you like the colour, if they are 18’s you could get them all stripped and repainted by a reputable company for £400 give or take.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

To be honest, I never knew they were anodised. It was only until Ibrar at speedwells told me that I know. I thought they were painted black in the centres, the lip was polished, and they were clear coated. I’m happy to have the wheel redone but I cannot find anyone who will anodise the polished lip. They are a 2 piece wheel but they arent split rims. I’d be laughing if they were as a replacement rim is only £120 from works. The wheels are only 2 months old so I dont really want to go messing arohnd with the other 3, just want this 1 fixed to match the rest. Just annoys me a bit that Ive spent alot of money with works and they only offer 2 very expensive options to repair a tiny bit of damage, and noone else wants to touch them.

Go and speak to places that actually do anodising would be my advice.

Just read their not split rims so i think sadly your screwed as far as anodising

goes as you'd have to dip the whole wheel into the tank

I tried yrs ago with my wheels but they were split rims, the biggest issue

i had with the anodising was because of the very deep dish on my lips it would

trap gas when it was in the tank which left a mark on the lip, no matter how you held the lip we couldn't

stop it from happening

No idea how WORK or other makers do it, mine were WORK Equips and ended up

down the powder coat route after trying polishing, anodising etc

DSCF0461.JPG

DSCF0471.JPG

DSCF0503.JPG

DSCF0543.JPG

P1000350.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

To be honest, I never knew they were anodised.

I found this out the same way. They got damaged and hey, can't be fixed because of the finish. :rolleyes:

I've used this anodising company before as they are very close to where I live and take on small jobs. http://collingsfinishing.co.uk/services/anodising

It's incredibly frustrating having new wheels scratched as I've been there myself. Double hit to find they're not stright forward to put right. What design wheel do you have? Can you live with the wheel the way it is now?

lol, yes I think I am to be honest dunk. why did you not stick with the polished lip?

Exaclty Delboy! I still cant believe I did it. What did you do to your wheels? They are 5 spokes, I cant upload pics for some reason. It just looks rubbish because the polished aluminium is brighter than the anodising. I’m think about polishing the whole lip as its only about 10mm deep. The only thing that worries me is it’ll then be unprotected and water etc would get under the remaining anodising