The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non cat Supra

Delboy52

Happily my Supra got through the new regulation MOT today but it might not have done had I not been there to see it through the emission test.

Initially it failed due to the tester selecting the only JZA80 Supra in his computers drop down list which happens to be the UK TT. That profile considers the cats to be in place. As mine is a 1993, and also has the GE engine on the vin plate it can be tested with the more lenient non cat profile and it breezed through that one. He was so impressed with the condition of the car he was prepared to let it through the emission test regardless ;)

Hurrah for another year! :trumpet:

attachment.php?attachmentid=228281&d=1531918399

There is no non cat test. If a car has them from factory then it must have them in place regardless of emissions. Trust me mine failed due to this reason and I looked it up in the MOT manual. Yours passed (if it’s got no cats) because the tester decided to let it

Jason's right, they changed the rules a year or two ago. If the car is fitted with a cat from the factory, it has to be on for the MOT test even if it would pass the emissions test without it.

Obviously most of us know friendly MOT testers though that might not notice it's missing :)

There is no non cat test. If a car has them from factory then it must have them in place regardless of emissions. Trust me mine failed due to this reason and I looked it up in the MOT manual. Yours passed (if it’s got no cats) because the tester decided to let it

If the car is domestic to the UK it would be in the list and tested accordingly so yeah, if it had cats from manufacture it will be tested assuming they are there. I was stood next to the tester today as he went back into the test system and had one JZA80 to choose from. I pointed out that wasn't my car, and there was a manual data entry option he hadn't noticed previously. Once my year and VIN specified engine was entered the test was re-started from calibration outside of the car to holding the revs at 2500 and the sensor up the exhaust. I was looking at the machine which had "Non catalyst equipped check" written along the top whilst running the test, followed by the machine passing it. He didn't need to make the choice whether to let it through or not as the machine made the call itself.

I've used several different MOT testers and found they themselves have their own level of tolerence. Previously I was told by the tester that as my car is pre 95 and has a non UK domestic engine on the VIN it can be put through a more forgiving emission test. Another occasion it was failed on the number plate being too small (Lexus dealership). I had to buy a UK front surfboard spec plate there and they then let it through. I didn't even have to fit the thing, and it went straight onto my garage shelf when I got home. I have the same smaller size plate as before and it wasn't questioned this time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=228282&d=1531946706

I’m right thinking Delboy’s is a V8 engine swap?

In that case I think it goes off whichever is oldest chassis/engine. It’s usually the car age/chassis code though unless you can actually prove how old the engine is.

There is definitely another MOT rule though where if the car had a CAT fitted from the factory it has to be present for the MOT test regardless of emissions. This would probably be an obvious decat pipe and I can’t see how this would apply to an engine swap unless you got a really awkward tester.

Edited by Dr_Doom (see edit history)

I’m right thinking Delboy’s is a V8 engine swap?

In that case I think it goes off whichever is oldest chassis/engine. It’s usually the car age/chassis code though unless you can actually prove how old the engine is.

There is definitely another MOT rule though where if the car had a CAT fitted from the factory it has to be present for the MOT test regardless of emissions. This would probably be an obvious decat pipe and I can’t see how this would apply to an engine swap unless you got a really awkward tester.

Yep, mine is a V8 and they do go off whichever is oldest, chassis or engine. It was tested as if it were still a 2JZ-GE going off the VIN so you may have noticed that the MOT report says 2990cc. I did update my log book which has the 4.0 V8 specified along with the 1UZ engine code, new reg plate and colour change so am not trying to hide anything. The V5C was requested which was a new one on me. Was close to home so my wife kindly brought it over. MOTs are odd things as can be easy at one place and a total ass at another. I don't know how they could know if it came with CATS other than the year it's being tested by?

Was there ever a domestic 2JZ-GE in Europe? If so it should have appeared on the drop down list if that was to include Euro models. There were more MKIII profiles (2) than MKIV (1) on the system they used at this Kwik Fit centre.

My understanding is because there isn't a European 2JZ-GE spec in existence so it would be subject to a non-cat test. Obviously we all know they had cats fitted as standard but when it comes to an MOT, they can't prove it was there at manufacture as they don't have the information. So that is where the line is drawn.

Things change for 1996's onwards though I believe as the regulations changed. If you're pre '96 then you should be fine

Yours is a 1996 so has information pree 96 doednt so no cat tests I believe, like others have said. Could be wrong could depend on the tester í^¾í´·í^¼í¿»^♂️

Yea I think that’s probably the reason. Annoyed me because last year the same garage passed it and I know for a fact that law hasn’t changed since. Can you tell I’m super bitter about it :D

Can confirm, I actually e-mailed VOSA a couple of years back due to my '93 Import GE failing on emissions.

"Thank you for your email enquiry dated 11 July 2016, concerning the above.

Section 7.3 of the inspection manual for private passenger and light

commercial vehicles covers the emissions tests for petrol vehicles (you can

view the full MOT inspection manual online at:-

https://www.gov.uk/topic/mot/manuals

For a vehicle first used in 1993, a CAT emissions test would only be done

if there was an exact match for the vehicle in the emissions database. As

your vehicle is an imported vehicle, there would not be an exact match and

therefore the vehicle should have a non-CAT emissions test (ie CO

HC

As the vehicle does not need a CAT emissions test, the tester will not be

checking for the presence of a CAT where fitted as standard.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have

any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards"

Edited by Supraman1511 (see edit history)

I think there is a difference between passing the emissions and having cats present if they were at manufacture. A pedantic person could find out they were standard on all Supra's and so should be fitted even if the emissions level to pass is a non cat one.

Just got to do what you can to get them through or in the long run if they get sus we may all have to do the swapping in/out of cats.