The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Restoration and respray

robin

As some of you may know from old posts my Supra has suffered from a fair bit of corrosion over the years. Being un-garaged and used daily in all weathers for many years and over nearly 210,000 miles has caused plenty of rust and paint damage.

Over the last two years in particular the clear coat has started to fail all over the car. It began on the bonet but soon the roof, wings and mirrors were all peeling away.

The car has the usual rust spots in the a-pilliars, round the boot lid, the sills and round the back behind the bumper and under the fuel tank.

20180708_195632.jpg

To remedy this the car has gone off to the coach works to have all the rust ground out and made good. Fit a new tailgate and full respay. Stripping down and prepping in progress.

20180712_122720.jpg

20180712_121625.jpg

20180712_122503.jpg

Next week the glass is coming out and she goes up in the air to get to the underside.

I have been debating on keeping the UK headlight washers. On one hand they are an unusual and original feature - I want to keep everything as original as possible. On the other hand people keep walking into them. Any thoughts?

Will be watching with interest.

As everyone has said keep the washers. Rare as hens teeth or rocking horse poo. Out of interest how much is the body work setting you back?

Sounds like they have managed to get the original washers apart. It looked like one of them might have been fubar so we can keep them! At the moment I am just working with estimates. A job like this could have surprises in store. I will be happy if there is any change from 7,000 or so.

I don't know if the sub-frames will come down. Surprisingly most of the suspension is in reasonable condition. I think the sills suffered as the car has been badly jacked, they were crunched and lost the protective under seal.

The glass has been taken out and the pilliars look a lot better, prep work on the rest of the car continues.

20180719_121757.jpg

20180719_121658.jpg

I am planning on ditching the old bood lid and have a rust free one to go in which has been repaired following a few dents from the postman.

20180719_121829.jpg

The bonnes/scoop have been taken apart and new studs sorted out.

20180719_121927.jpg

The bumpers and some of the smaller body parts have been painted.

20180719_122215.jpg

The fuel tank cover and rear bumper re-enforcement have been replaced with new parts and given a thick coat of stone chip paint. Maybe these will last longer than 24 years in UK weather?

20180719_121458.jpg

More progress this week. The car has been painted and the glass is going back in.

Still needs a polish though.

20180726_122316.jpg

20180726_122220.jpg

The outter sills have been sorted.

sill.jpg

a before for comparison - cant see under the plastic but it was starting to rust through.

20180708_195752.jpg

Strange for me to see the roof without peeling lacquer!

20180726_122237.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
How much?

Looks real swell mate. Congrats man. Enjoy her for another good many years to come.

Total was just over 7k with the coachworks supplying new windscreen, seals and many bolts/clips.

I spent a further £800 or so on bootlid and other parts that I supplied.

They were not the cheapest or the most expensive I was quoted. I selected them based on reputation and that the chap spent 40 minutes filling a note book and looking all over/under the car as well as taking paint codes/chassis number before quoting. Other places tended to just pull figures from the air without really looking at the car which did not inspire much confidence.

Looks great, must be over the moon with it.

More pics please!

I have lived with bad paint for so long it feels and looks like a new car. Here are a couple more photos. I am hoping the weather dries out again so I can take it out somewhere and get some good pictures.

20180813_131149 (Large).jpg

No rust on that patch at the top of the boot.

20180813_131323 (Large).jpg

Hey Robin. I was asking the price for the car but I like your response better than not for sale or pm with offer type of answers. I too would be glad with service like that. Don't see many people conducting work the old fashion way now a days but the way you explained he did, I would be glad dealing with him. Will see what I do when time comes as I am contemplating conducting all the body repair work myself but I don't think I am quite up for that yet.

Really stunning colour and once again congrats to you mate.

Hey Robin. I was asking the price for the car but I like your response better than not for sale or pm with offer type of answers. I too would be glad with service like that. Don't see many people conducting work the old fashion way now a days but the way you explained he did, I would be glad dealing with him. Will see what I do when time comes as I am contemplating conducting all the body repair work myself but I don't think I am quite up for that yet.

Really stunning colour and once again congrats to you mate.