The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possibly bought the cheapest MKIV Supra TT AT in the world. What's wrong with it?

SupraGTO

Hi guys, new owner of a 93TT AT which I thought got for a bargain. Just had an inspection done on the car and here are some problems with it. Any advise on the cost and difficulty of repair or have I just bought a lemon?

image image

1. Previous front damage, radiator support was replaced, apparently no frame damage? Looked like some places were welded together. Pretty worried about this.

image image

2. Tranny/Power steering Leak

image image image

3. Undercarriage rust

image image image image

That was pretty much all in the report, well, other than the heater was not working (was actually removed, don't need it).

Some mods that came with it, that I know of:

- HKS full exhaust d-cat system

- Calsonic Radiator

- Tom's ECU

- HKS air filter

- FMIC

- RE30 18"

- Updated lights

Edited by SupraGTO (see edit history)

You have an after market crank pulley on it that I'd advise you change for a stock damped one.

You could have a weeping front crank seal. The area needs a good degrease and then inspection with the engine running to try and identify if its power steering fluid, oil or both.

On the plus side it looks (from the dirty attached to the leaking stuff) like it's been weeping a while rather than sprung a major/worrying leak (by this I mean possibly if you'd used it without looking underneath then you might not have noticed anything for some time) Did it have the plastic engine undertray on it - was this removed for the photos?

It doesn't look too bad on the face of it given you think you got it cheap.

Thanks guys! Great valuable info there! Previous owner kept mentioning it's nothing major and that it'll be able to hold itself up without repairs, but I don't really trust him.

The inspection did not specify any frame damage except for the front radiator support, I do suppose the brackets still line up. It is a 25 year old I guess, not expecting an accident free car, just worried it's something major. Thanks for the feedback!

I've been reading the forums, and it seems to be a cross of opinions regarding having an after market crank pulley or having a stock one. I understand the benefits of going stock, but what are the cons of having an aftermarket one?

It does not have an undertray. Owner says it was removed as it's mainly driven on highways and it doesn't snow here. I reckon' there's plenty of things leaking underneath, just not particularly apparent. I think you're right on the crank seal, would have it looked at. All these seem like pretty hefty repairs.

I'm not sure how much these MKIV are going for privately, but I got it for just under £10k, would you guys say its a good buy?

Cons of a non dampened crank pulley are youll kill bottom end bearings needing a bottom end rebuild if your lucky or a new crank/engine. Being a TT no cheap replacement.. this is due too them being improperly balanced and putting alot of undue stress and vibration through the engine.

I know this from experience having done my previous engine the same way..

Cons of a non dampened crank pulley are youll kill bottom end bearings needing a bottom end rebuild if your lucky or a new crank/engine. Being a TT no cheap replacement.. this is due too them being improperly balanced and putting alot of undue stress and vibration through the engine.

I know this from experience having done my previous engine the same way..

I had one for 3 years with no issues

I'm not sure how much these MKIV are going for privately, but I got it for just under £10k, would you guys say its a good buy?

Id say you've had your pants pulled down! I thought you were paying 3 or 4 grand lol. Needs a good deal of work mechanically and cosmetically to bring it up to scratch IMO.

And as for crank pulleys, people generally fit solid ones because theyre too tight/poor to pay for a genuine one. Just google harmonic dampers, theyre fitted for a reason

Id say you've had your pants pulled down! I thought you were paying 3 or 4 grand lol. Needs a good deal of work mechanically and cosmetically to bring it up to scratch IMO.

I wouldn't say that, find any TT for less? And is he in Hong Kong as per his location? possibly not much choice out there?

Anyway you've got it now, the no undertray is ok, I mentioned it as if it had one they can hide quite a leak if they have there padding on them, without one the leak would be apparent everywhere is parked if severe, so the leaks are more likely weeps if you see what I mean.

It's just got to that point where you'll struggle to find a Supra that doesn't need a few things done to it unless it's been looked after by a real enthusiast.

Many ended up in the hands of people that couldn't afford to properly maintain them, whilst others are starting to get rust and need a good refurb.

I'd say if the body and interior are OK and you're happy with the buy then it's good. There's always someone that'll say "too expensive" ;)

• 4 months later...