The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving experience - Tin top vs aerotop

Swampy442

Anyone driven back to back/owned an era and a tin top side by side? Do aero tops suffer from scuttle shake and other handling maladies?

Im going to be building a big turbo car with mainly road but some track aspirations, Im wondering of an aero top will be detrimental.

There are two easy ways to ruin an aerotop, 1; fit a massive horsepower laggy turbo 2; fit a manual gearbox.

Aeros (with the roof off) are for putting in D and driving round enjoying the sunshine, they are not for trackdays or blasting round b roads:cool::cool:

I had a hardtop before my aerotop. With the roof on they both feel the same. With the roof off, the aero gets like a shock vibration when it hits bumps and potholes. It corners the same with the roof on or off, but i dont throw it into corners or drive it hard. Over the years ive seen many aeros in the US get wrecked with the roof on or off and they seem to hold up just fine.

Ill always be aerotop, just that desirable option thats there when you want it. Plus it looks cool AF!

Some aero wrecks

https://s26.postimg.cc/bh812cqqh/011.png

https://s26.postimg.cc/suibh6yw9/IMG_0592.jpg

Edited by evinX (see edit history)

I have a TRD widebody Aerotop with 6 speed gearbox and 600BHP.

Not one single problem, not one single scary moment and you can ask anyone here how I drive and have driven on several DragonBalls and in this country.

Actually, there’s plenty of footage.

After having owned a hardtop too, I really do not know what people are talking about.

I have a TRD widebody Aerotop with 6 speed gearbox and 600BHP.

Not one single problem, not one single scary moment and you can ask anyone here how I drive and have driven on several DragonBalls and in this country.

Actually, there’s plenty of footage.

After having owned a hardtop too, I really do not know what people are talking about.

Exactly. With the roof of your bound for a little vibration. But on a normal smooth roads its solid as a rock

700hp 6 speed aerotop here and there is nothing better than driving it with the roof off on a nice day.

It does handle better and have less vibration with the roof on. If I was ever to track it I would probably leave it on, as I believe it drives the same as a hardtop with it on. Roof off for cruising, and straight line pulls are even more fun. Also turns far more heads lol.

If I was building a track car I would definitely go hardtop though as it would be pointless having the aero.

There are two easy ways to ruin an aerotop, 1; fit a massive horsepower laggy turbo 2; fit a manual gearbox.

Aeros (with the roof off) are for putting in D and driving round enjoying the sunshine, they are not for trackdays or blasting round b roads:cool::cool:

That point can also be aimed at ANY Supra

I had A A70 MKIII Aero in the past, it really felt like a spaghetti without a roof compared to the MKIV. A80 is not bad at all without the roof. Yes it it does have some little flex in it when you drive around but it is not that bad. If you have the roof on, it is like a solid roof car.

Yes, they are a good bit heavier. Given the thing has two doors and no roof (even with the Aerotop panel in place it's nothing like as solid a roof structure as the Coupe), 90% plus of the rigidity in bend and twist has to come from the sills and floor pan between the front and back of the door apertures. Without the Aerotop in place that small region has to hold all bending and twisting forces.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

The 4 corner braces arnt that heavy at all just thin metal braces. The tunnel brace is larger than a hardtop. Again small peice. Inner sills are different. Probably no much heavier at all. The roof skin and inner frame are ally. The front and rear of the roof has different frame parts to seat the roofs. Again not much weight. Cant see a Aerotop na auto being much heavier than a Hardtop na auto.

Ive actually seen a Hardtop to Aerotop conversion done properly using a wrecked aerotop as the donor. It was done properly including the sills