The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-spec lights on to UK Spec

Branners

Somewhere in the depths of time somebody said the J-spec rear light clusters will go straight on to a UK car and the bulbs holders will fit.

I just tried to fit my j-spec lights and the reverse light and the fog light wont fit in to the holders.

Has anybody else fitted j-spec light clusters to a UK car and if so what did you have to cut/remove to make them fit?

And yes, I am slowly removing all trace that its a UK spec car before anybody asks

:spanish:

JB

I had my trainers on when fitting them so the loafer was no use..

No, they are purely the cluster with no loom or bulb bits. If it included the loom would it need to be spliced back in to the existing loom to make it work?

When you changed Christians to j-spec how did you do it?

JB

JB, I've done this mod.

My facelift J-specs did come with the bulbs, holders and loom though and plugged straight in.

Don't know about the UK holders fitting?

Paul

plugged in where though? The existing wiring loom runs in to the boot of the car through a gromet, theres no connector to plug in (unless theres one on the back of each of the bulb holder that I hadnt seen..)

I thinking Im going to have to cut the lugs off the bulb holders to make them fit in the hole..

JB

There's a white multi plug, one per light unit. Can't remember but I think it's behind the black plastic trim panel in the boot?

Yours not got these then?

Paul

I didnt take the black plastic bit off in the boot, just removed the lights from the back so didnt see if there was a multiplug. Even if there is a multiplug doesnt that mean I have to run the wire through the small gromet and in to the boot?

JB

I didnt take the black plastic bit off in the boot, just removed the lights from the back so didnt see if there was a multiplug. Even if there is a multiplug doesnt that mean I have to run the wire through the small gromet and in to the boot?

JB

Yeah I think so, I seem to remember taking the grommet out of the hole, pushing the cables through and then re-fitting it.

Best bet is to look under the boot trim panel and take it from there, as I said mine came complete so it was a simple swap other than the fogs not working and a diode mod sorted this.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Looks like Im knackered then cos the lights came without the loom and I bought them ages ago so cant go back for the loom.

If anybody has a set of j-spec lights with loom and they want to swap+cash for a set of j-spec lights without loom then let me know. I know theres a few people out there only after the lenses out of the lights to make up a set of clears so if they want to swap or want to sell the loom let me know.

The other option I suppose it a swap of my UK spec clusters for a set of j-spec clusters including loom. I know the UK spec clusters are in more demand due to the reverse lens being where it is...

Otherwise Im chopping off the lugs from the bulb holders to make them fit.

JB

Thanks Paul. Looks like Im knackered then cos the lights came without the loom and I bought them ages ago so cant go back for the loom.

If anybody has a set of j-spec lights with loom and they want to swap+cash for a set of j-spec lights without loom then let me know. I know theres a few people out there only after the lenses out of the lights to make up a set of clears so if they want to swap or want to sell the loom let me know.

JB

I have a pair of jap spec looms minus the bulbs you can have.

One of them has a fog light mod done on it but the wire is easily reattached.

Are you still going to the magazine day at bruntingthorpe i can bring them then, and you can have a look and see if they are what you are after.

regards

colin

The reason the holders wont fit is because the layout of the lights is slightly different , you wont be able to put a holder for a reverse light into a brake light etc .

Dude :complain:

I might wear loafers but Im not that bad, Im trying to put the reverse bulb holder in to the reverse lens hole and it doesnt fit, the lugs are in different positions. Same goes for the foglight. Brakelight and indicators go in okay.

Thanks Colin, I will take a look at Bruntingthorpe. I plan on doing a modification to the brake/fog light anyway to get the twin brake lights so the wiring for the fog light will be changed anyway.

JB