The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help auto box won’t shift out off first gear

Supra374

My supra has sat for over a year in different body shops but I was told it started to leak oil some where from the gearbox tho only when the car is running. I drove the car home last nite and the car won’t change gear but goes into first and drives in first and goes into reverse. Can anyone help me with this problem please

Oil leak can allow air into the system , the fluid can then aerate inside the box , this can lower the line pressure and it needs this pressure to shift

So first bleed the fluid - add fluid via dipstick and pump out the old fluid into a bucket - fill the system and check while running , then retest the shift

ATF - not gear oil , Toyota do their own but dextron works - disconnect line from bottom of radiator and put it in a bucket - put a tube in dipstick to your new fluid bottle - start engine and pour in fresh fluid as the fluid is pumped out the bottom .

Once nice clean fluid is pumped out - stop , top up to dipstick marks .

Check for the leak , probably best do this before filling and after .

You have no warning lights like OD flashing so , no faults are being seen by the ECU ( it's not possible for the ECU to see an oil leak or fluid aerating)

The line pressure varies on throttle position and speed of the gearbox turning , so shift is dependent on these , Ie wrong throttle position gives wrong shift or no shift due wrong line pressure , but the fluid must be correct level and air free to start with

Will do guys and thanks for the help. I do have the hand brake light come on when I start to drive it, is that a fault

/QUOTE]

The handbrake light is the main warning light. If you turn on your ignition do all the warning lights both sides of the dash light up and then go off when you start the engine. Sometimes one or more of the lights can be out due to dry solder.

I recently converted back to auto from manual, because I'm gay and prefer the auto trans........... But

After refitting and bleeding the auto trans fluid, the car would move under its own power for a few feet, and then stop. When rechecking the fluid level, it took about another litre to fully top it up, and it's been perfect ever since.

Also, I had an issue with the trac light blinking, and no manu mode. Opon checking my ecu, I found it was leaking brown fluid from one of the plugs. I've since fitted a replacement ecu, and it's been perfect ever since.

This might not help you, but I'd recommend checking both the ecu and fluid levels