The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank pulley help

cainhead

Hello,

Just noticed my crank pulley has started to separate so I need to change it. I know a special tool is needed. Would anyone have such a tool that they would be willing to lend me. Happy to pay postage or collect if possible. Of course there’s a drink in it for anyone who can help out.

Many thanks in advance.

With an auto I think you have the starter method for undoing but really need a tool to tighten it back up. Starter method means 22mm impact socket on pulley nut breaker bar against the ground pointing towards the battery tray ie passenger side. Remove efi fuse to stop the car firing up (check this before placing the breaker bar), then turn the ignition, with luck the torque will cracking the nut loose? With the nut loose the pulley will still likely need a pull though.r to get it off the crank nose.

We tried the cranking method with a breaker bar, it wouldn’t have it :cry:

Unfortunately don’t have access to an impact gun, so may have to shell out on the Toyota Crank lock tool that Whifbitz sell as need to tighten it back up after as well!

Done this job a few times and always locked the crank with a locking bar through the M8 thread holes on the crank pully. If you are technical adept you can make up the tools. Mine are rough and ready but have never let me down.

If I get a chance I will knock up a drawing

Guest Budz86

On a slight side note, how easy is it with the engine out and on stand? Got a decent impact gun but guess the pulley still needs to be locked off

- - - Updated - - -

On a slight side note, how easy is it with the engine out and on stand? Got a decent impact gun but guess the pulley still needs to be locked off

/QUOTE]

Might be dumb suggestion but we battled with a Honda once. I like to hold a FWD car by both the brake disc by locking them with allen keys thick enough in the ventilated groove of the disc to the caliper whilst in gear and car on jack stands. This case it would not have it and cranking with spark removed and fuel delivery, the engine would shift and hold and nothing else. So in your case if you do have it out, remove the sump and put a clean rag in between the crank and the block and get someone to turn the crankshaft until the rag "locks" the crank from turning whilst holding up against the block. You will be guaranteed to win in this case with loosening and tightening the bolt. NB this is only if you do have the engine out but in our case on the honda, it was easy to drop the sump as we could not win any other way.

Usually a few good taps with a hammer and some Q20 spray helps to get it going but if all else fails, guess the tool wont harm anyone except the pocket.:D

Guest Budz86
Do you have to take out the engine?

You don't need to take out the engine for this job.

Engine is out as it's going in another shell but might strip and check it all over while it's out. I know I shouldn't as there's nothing wrong with it but I get bored easily lol

Guest Budz86
- - - Updated - - -

Might be dumb suggestion but we battled with a Honda once. I like to hold a FWD car by both the brake disc by locking them with allen keys thick enough in the ventilated groove of the disc to the caliper whilst in gear and car on jack stands. This case it would not have it and cranking with spark removed and fuel delivery, the engine would shift and hold and nothing else. So in your case if you do have it out, remove the sump and put a clean rag in between the crank and the block and get someone to turn the crankshaft until the rag "locks" the crank from turning whilst holding up against the block. You will be guaranteed to win in this case with loosening and tightening the bolt. NB this is only if you do have the engine out but in our case on the honda, it was easy to drop the sump as we could not win any other way.

Usually a few good taps with a hammer and some Q20 spray helps to get it going but if all else fails, guess the tool wont harm anyone except the pocket.:D

Tbh I'm hoping the gun will just spin it off, it's pretty heavy duty and it's not an old pulley. Just had visions of spinning the crank lol

/QUOTE]

Using a good impact gun there's no need to lock anything up. Good is the operative word, preferably 3/4 or 1 inch drive with a decent size hose to it and a big regulator on the compressor. If someone has Loctited the bolt it may need heat....Lots and applied fast with a big tip on an oxy / acetylene torch. Crank damper will probably be scrap after though if it's not already. Fit a new bolt.