The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member looking to be an owner

lordcopes

Hi, new member from the UK. I've always loved Supras but I've never been in a position to actually own one. I'm looking for one now though!

I'd love a mkiv that hasn't been modded. I don't mind a bit of a project, but I'm not keen on getting something that needs any major work done to it.

The problem I've found while looking so far is there seems to be such a big range in prices and I can't quite work out why.

I've checked out the Model Differences Chart, which is fantastic, but because a lot of adverts don't list all the details, it's hard to see why some are so much more expensive than others besides obvious things like mileage and condition.

Are there some models that are much more desirable than others and why? Or are there some options that are much more desirable?

Hi and welcome

Main differences which can swing variance in price:

Twin Turbo vs Single Turbo vs NA

Auto vs Manual

If Manual generally 3 times of box used in preferential order V160/V161, R154 and W58

Typically spec in preferential order as follows UK spec, Facelift, Pre-Facelift - although subjective depending on individuals.

Coupe vs Aerotop - latter only comes in Auto unless modded with transmission swap.

To find a clean Manual 6spd V160/V161 TT you need to budget between £20-30k. Auto TT I would say £12-£18k depending on spec.

Define what your budget is and I am sure you will get some good advice on what to expect for that kind of money. I went for the cheapest and most local supra I saw when I jumped into the scene without a huge amount of research. Pretty sure with what I know now, I would never have done that. Look for something that someone has owned for some years, and has plenty of history. Mine was sat on a drive, pretty much unloved and abused, not a scrap of paperwork came with it. Hopefully you are in a position to view a few before making a judgement call.

Currently you are looking at approximately the following

Non turbo Auto's - £5-11K (Least popular as the non turbo's are slower and can't be modified much unless you turbo charge them) £5K tatty one, £11K facelift (96/97) low miler

Non turbo Manual - £6-11K still slow these days but more involving/playful so higher priced generally - very few late manual NA's seem to come up for sale now (costly to import direct from japan now too)

Auto TT - seemingly £10K - 18K ish now, with pretty much everything being advertised in the top bracket in recent months. Good for mild mods and daily drivers

TT manual - £16-£30K the most popular as manuals still hold a premium

It depends what you want, I like NA's as well as TT's for some they don't cut it though. If you want the look over power then I would just seek out the best one you can find. Rust it starting to become a little of an issue underbody wise despite them being very solid cars, you may as well get as clean a one as possible.

The £35K ones at a dealer looked brand new underneath.....but that's a whole lot of money.

Difficult time to buy re the auto range I put up above a car was bought near the bottom of this range a month or so ago and now few weeks later it's for sale at the top!

The price variation is a mixture of things but lot's of people are chancing their arms as the prices of importing from Japan have soared, Supra's in America are big money and so some would say we are catching up. This in my opinion is bringing up the dross along with the clean and tidy and so more than ever a good decision is important, the market is testing the buyers limits, what are yours, at what price point would you consider it a idea you'd just have to let go? (don't say lol I'm just sort of trying to get across where we are, when you and other new buyers baulk at the price we will see stagnation, but it's becoming a global market and so we may see more drift off overseas.

I think we see some buyers just go for it as right now it appears to be an unstoppable upward trend, I mean at least you are ahead of the game compared to America? However it's slim pickings even if you just have to have one regardless of price!

If you aren't a purist/collector type then in my opinion a Manual na is an ok buy (£7-8K), you could turbo charge it on the cheap or fit a TT engine down the line and in pure driving terms you will be in the same car as the £20K plus twin turbo Manual cars.

If you only ever stayed at stock power, then in some ways a converted 5 speed NA is better than a 6 speed TT. As with all things Supra now though finding a TT engine is getting difficult but not impossible......

There are a few of us in Shropshire with Supras. I have a TT6 that I bought in 1998 and another member Crossy has a single T Auto that he bought last year and both cars are reasonably stock looking examples. You are more than welcome to drop by for a look see and talk over what to look for and I'm sure Crossy would extend a similar invitation. PM if that'd be something you'd want to do.