The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How Long do Stock Turbos last on average?

Green Peace

How could you be sure? It varies so much it's impossible to say.

The major factor is what boost they are being run at. If they've only ever been run at stock boost and with stock filtration I would think they'd last a very long time.

On standard boost? Anywhere between 80-120k miles I would imagine. Depends entirely how they've been looked after, its like a how long is a piece of string question.

Yeah but reason I ask is that someone told me recently 'ya better start think about getting new turbos' mines done 76k !!!

:(

Also depends on quality of oil and service intervals. How the car has been driven, ie balls out, or pootling around. Warm up and cool down times will play a factor. Quality of air filter will effect the life of the turbos.

Mine were healthy enough when I bought the car with 75k on the clock, within a week or so I'd started upping the boost and things and by around 89k the shafts had a lot of play in them - this was maybe 10k of 1.2 > 1.3 bar on UK turbos and a previous FSH and 3000 mile changes once I got it.

I don't think there's any way of determining how long they last.

I've had 2 Supra's and I've run them on a daily basis at 1.2ish, and some good track day use at up to 1.4. I tried really hard to kill them so that I had an excuse to go single... In the end I just put a single on anyway ;)

My car's a UK Auto with 98,000 on the clock. The car is mechanically standard and the stock turbos are fine as far as I know. I excercise the 2nd turbo once or twice per day if I can. Mostly motorway driving and no track days.

It's a worry for me if they go tits up but at the moment I'm happy with them.

I like to think I treat mine with care. Running about 1.25 bar during winter, not sure about warmer weather yet.

Generally leave it running for 2-3 minutes before and after any driving regardless of time/power etc.

Regular oil changes.

Only done 78k km but don't know what the first 50k were used like in Japan!!

Just have to wait and see, can't afford a 67 at the moment!!