The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1st time Supra owner, long time admirer

V1eev

After years of admiring I finally bought a Supra.

Long story short I have been looking at the Supra market for the last couple of years, since a friend bought one (with the intention of putting a V8 in) like most over projects he never got round to even really starting so it just sat on his drive way since 2015. That’s where I come in, after a 10 minute phone call it was mine. Now the fun starts!!

It’s a 1997 NA auto with one of the worst spay jobs I have ever seen. Going forward the plan is like many people before a manual single turbo conversion aiming for around 700bhp. Now comes the question that has been asked 1000 times.

What’s the best route to go down?

Having done some research there seems to be a lot of suggestions but not many people that have actually carried out the conversion.

Ideally I would like some advice from people the have either completed the conversion or in the process of carrying it out.

So far what I have found:

Transmission- 05 onwards Nissan 350z box with adaption plate

BMW diesel transmission

Engine:

Find a 2jz-gte then single turbo conversation

Last thing .... Cost ?

Out of experience how much has it cost to do this installation?

I currently run our family garage business with my farther so we would be pretty confident in attempting the conversion our selves, I would just like to see the best options people have come up with.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers

Welcome.

When people start say they're aiming for these power figures I always ask - Have you ever driven a big turbo, 700hp car with rwd?

Cost so, a GTE engine 4 grand, have been known to run 700 on a stock bottom end but probably safe to forge it so a couple of grand plus labour, turbo and manifold a couple of grand plus ancillaries, ECU and mapping 3 grand, brake upgrades, depends on what you already have but a few hundred there, cooling, couple of hundred. Gearbox - Dont know how much torque those boxes can run but a Toyota 6 speed will run that and they come in around 5k now. Add sundries and I doubt you'd get much change out of 15k

Think there are 2 Toyota gearboxes that match up to na w58/r134?, this sounds like a massive project but like members have said I'd start getting car straight from underneath up, I'd also be happy to start with good strong na turbo kit which would give you around 380/400hp.

Hi and welcome :) put some pics up of your new toy we all like pics :)

Think Swampy covered most of the costs fairly well and £15k would be a ballpark figure to go on depending on the quality of products you use (could be considerably more but also is achievable on this). As for gearbox the 350Z and 370Z boxs have been used a few times I think with decent results so if you have the conversion parts you'd need then I don't see no reason why that wouldn't be a good route to go. The V160 is the obvious choice and really strong but they have a very hefty price tag to go with so the Nissan box's could be a good route especially as others have gone down this route now (just make sure you do your research first).

When you do start the project in whatever magnitude you chose start up a project thread and people will help and advise you on your journey :)