The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power correction

Dnk

It's not a 100 % accurate as every set up will vary but a ball park is near enough

My Supra at 1.25 bar made 347 on a Dyno Dynamics hub dyno

18% = 410

24% = 430

At Surrey on Saturday mine made 416hp once corrected BPU Auto , when I asked Charlie what is made at the wheels he said 350hp so I would say that 18% is closer

Jheez, that makes dads car 850+bhp at the flywheel on E70. It made 708rwhp on Abbey Motorsports hub dyno. Never been sure on transmission losses though so normally stick to RWHP figure.
Agreed with Chris.

Mine made 753rwhp at Abbey and so I assumed 800 fly was a reasonable statement. Very similar figures at ProTuner bar 1 horsepower!

Guest Budz86

I'm going to disagree with you boys there; mine made 700 and 800 (pump and E60) at Abbey; with a 15% correction they would rise to 805 and 920. Much as I'd love to say I have a 900+hp car, it just isn't! Engine is out at the moment though and I'm thinking about having the engine dyno'd to see the difference. £100 says it doesn't get near 850....

I'm going to disagree with you boys there; mine made 700 and 800 (pump and E60) at Abbey; with a 15% correction they would rise to 805 and 920. Much as I'd love to say I have a 900+hp car, it just isn't! Engine is out at the moment though and I'm thinking about having the engine dyno'd to see the difference. £100 says it doesn't get near 850....

Also worth noting you have the 6466 same as us and Greg, that’s rated to 900bhp by Precision.

On big power and torque engines through a stock transmission designed for a lot less the losses can rise alarmingly, alongside the friction loss heat generated, so 22 to 25% is entirely possible on mega power engines on stock transmissions (including the rear axle and driveshafts, which if overloaded become less and less efficient as things distort).

Engine dynos rule ;)

At Surrey on Saturday mine made 416hp once corrected BPU Auto , when I asked Charlie what is made at the wheels he said 350hp so I would say that 18% is closer

A Dyno dynamics doesn't have a correction value for an auto so just assumes the car is manual and gives same correction.

The only way to find out is test the engine and ancillaries on their own on a decent engine dyno, then re-test in the vehicle on a hub dyno. A drum type dyno will show higher losses still as road tyres have a considerable power absorption when transmitting a lot of torque, less so at cruise.

Only no tyre losses and a means of applying a constant load, not flash readings as from an inertia dyno, which are very flattering as the engine can't stabilise.

Any dyno is only as good and honest as its operator. Some are like statisticians and can supply any figures you may wish to see... ;)

My Skyline was sold to me with 430 BHP at the rear wheels read out from a rolling road dyno. I had the chance to nail it on an engine dyno before I started work on it and it was actually 305 from memory at the FLYWHEEL and after a few tweaks to the map to get the top end fuelling and timing something like :) Well under 300 "as was" and likely to fail on a circuit. Engine dynos can cause some disappointment!

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)