The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice replacing front seatbelt

Guest Rsb

My driver’s side belt is a bit reluctant to retract when released. It seems to be working fine otherwise but I figured it might be worth replacing it with a new one. Pre-facelift belts are not available so I wondered if anyone had experience replacing a pre-facelift belt with a post facelift belt? I bought a new original part, it has a wire that I assume is for a belt tensioner that wasn’t on UK cars but is it the same otherwise?

Any advice from you knowledgable lot would be appreciated.

Hi, is your car a uk spec or jap spec?

The jap spec pre and facelift seatbelts are the same figment.

The uk front belts are different. They mount differently at the bottom of the inner sill area but can be made to fit.

UK specs seem to have a bar and mount outside the bottom of the rear speaker panel. Never knew this until looking into it, wondered why my UK carpet had extra rear holes as i thought the car it came from had a do luck bar or something, but saw other UK carpets with the same thing.

If i ever need seatbelts ill probably do a UK spec conversion. MAD!

Thanks Evin, so it seems for some reason Jap spec and Uk spec seatbelts and fittings are different which is mad. I think I’ll have to tolerate it for now.

Thanks Evin, so it seems for some reason Jap spec and Uk spec seatbelts and fittings are different which is mad. I think I’ll have to tolerate it for now.

Have you tried silicone spray? I remember someone talking about seatbelt retractor spray, turns out its soilcone spray, spray it over the actual belt and the mechanism, may sort it if nothing is broken in there

Hi Matt, yes I saw that online as well as dunking it into a bucket of warm water with detergent, I am going to give it a go. Weird that UK cars are seemingly different in a lot of areas, I think they did it just to annoy us :-)