The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake issue

Thomas.B

Hey!

Having a slight "scratch" sound from my left rear brake.

Just mot'd and everything was working fine with them then.

Had the weels off and noticed there was missing the little screws that help hold on the disc but this can't be it as the weels are on with 5 bolts that help hold it there... ?

Pushed it forward and left rear handbrake didn't want to release as easy as the right.

Are there separate pads for the handbrake? Any other pointers?

Anyone have the numbers for handbrake pads (if there are any) and the little screws that hold the discs?

Cheers!

Those holes on the discs are for bolts to push the discs off. Hand brake shoes are inside the rear discs...maybe they need adjusting? Theres a grommet on the disc you pull off and theres a star adjuster inside.

Are the pads low? May be the wear indicator?

Oh so discs are in place using the wheel bolts as I thought?

You don't have a picture of the adjuster? Or maybe it's easy to see when looking. It does seem like the handbrake is somewhat on on the left wheel but releases when driving and then just makes this scratching sound sometimes.

I have new pads all around but haven't done anything for the handbrake. If it is these do you by chance have a part number so I can order tomorrow? :)

Handbrake shoes - Blue print ADT34157

Handbrake shoe fitting kit - Braymann BBA6030

Front handbrake cable - Toyota 46410-14130

Rear handbrake cable LH - Blue print ADT346232

Rear handbrake cable RH - Blue print ADT346219

I used all those parts to redo my handbrake system, all parts were spot on.

Video i used when doing mine

Thanks!

Are the handbrake pads same for both jspec and uk spec?

I'm gonna try to set the handbrake on both sides later today and see if that works, if not i'll buy everything new and change.

Yep same handbrake setup

The linings sometimes come off the shoes, especially if someone has driven with the handbrake left on, or does handbrake turns, then you get noise and binding. In fact i had a Volvo in that had the linings come un-bonded and the left rear locked up at 40 MPH and gave the driver a bit of a fright.