The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight options

D1andonlyantman

Hi everyone. I'm just wondering what my options are regarding headlight bulbs, HIDs, LEDs etc. I've got a j-spec 98' vvti and coming from a car with decent headlights, night driving is a little scary haha. It's never something ive needed to learn about before, so any advice or pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks

You can fit higher wattage bulb in stock - crap

You can fit HID bulbs in stock - blue crap

You can fit LED in stock - white crap

You can fit HID in new projector - now we can see at night

You can fit LED in new projector - oh yes

You can retro fit new OEM from another modern car (with projector-D2S and such) - just like any modern car - you can see great at night .

You can retro for spanking new look round corner matrix lights - but would cost more than a new car .

Morimoto projector and bulb and ballast is probably the best cost/performance , or just do nothing and wipe out small mammals at night

You can fit higher wattage bulb in stock - crap

You can fit HID bulbs in stock - blue crap

You can fit LED in stock - white crap

You can fit HID in new projector - now we can see at night

You can fit LED in new projector - oh yes

When you say projector, what is the difference from the stock unit as I thought the lights were projectors anyway, does it require any/much modification?

Do you have any links to LED projectors? I could do with a bit more light at the front of the Supe!

The stock lights are projectors but the optical performance is poor , newer projectors are much better , it is a bit of a job to replace them , chopping out the originals and bonding in new ones ,(using the same diameter projectors ) - the lights need to be opened up

Once the projectors are in any bulb works better

The stock lights are projectors but the optical performance is poor , newer projectors are much better , it is a bit of a job to replace them , chopping out the originals and bonding in new ones ,(using the same diameter projectors ) - the lights need to be opened up

Once the projectors are in any bulb works better

Intrested in a link to these led projectors as well if poss

TBH HID's in the stock lights are fine and perfectly light up the road.

You want 4000k for them just to be white, rather than blue.

Yes the MOT rules now make it a bit harder, so you'd probably be better with some 4k LEDS