The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uk spec Caliper respray

Guest Ride-or-Die

Guest Ride-or-Die

Just wondering whats the best option to go regarding painting calipers. Would it be best to get them sand blasted then powder coated or hand sand then 2pac them?

What do the factory companys do? eg brembo etc

Also noticed the seals are worn and cracked.

Any recommendations what repair kits to use?

Any advice would be really appreciated

Thanks!

I have just refurbished my UKs, and sanded them by hand. If you get them blasted you will have to split them as the grit collects inside the channels and Toyota don't sell the gaskets between the two halves (although Chris Wilson might still).

I used VHT matt black and the finish is excellent! TCB parts are very competitively priced on the seal kits.

Guest Ride-or-Die

Thanks cam27 for the info :)

That looks really nice!!!

That’s the result I’m aiming for :)

Did you use any primer ?

Could you give me a link where to get the repair kit?

Here is the link for the seal kits, if you click brakes then the green supra icon at the top then scroll down, there is one kit for the fronts and one for the rears

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/

I didn't use primer or clear coat, because of the high temperatures. I applied 3 coats of the VHT to the keyed metal, which then cures at high temps (when the calipers are hot after use). You could use primer if you like, just make sure it has a high temperature rating.

This is the paint I used

Hope that helps:thumbs:

Guest Ride-or-Die

3A7C3029-5B2F-4FBC-B978-5F3B48B821CC.jpeg5AE00E90-A039-4073-803C-6E378FC5AFB4.jpeg

Those are the sprays I got.

Should I respray and then repair or the other way around ?

Will keep you guys updated with photos :)

If the chrome has pitted on the pistons you are best replacing them. Cheap replacement pistons are gold zinc irridited, or black zinc plated and it wears off leaving bare mild steel, so they rust far quicker than the OE chrome plated ones. For really long life you need stainless steel pistons. I can supply seal kits, stainless pistons, stainless pad pins and the special square shaped seals that go between the caliper halves when you split them to hone the bores. These square seals should NOT be reused! Toyota do not list them. I can supply stainless pistons for UK and Jap spec calipers, as well as for most any caliper off any car that I can have a sample piston for.

If you bead blast do NOT allow blasting medium down the caliper half bolt threads. If even a tiny bit remains it will often lock the bolts up on reassembly, and the bolts are a very odd thread / grip length and not available. I can Helicoil mangled ones on a jig on the Bridgeport, and fit a slightly bigger diameter cap head bolts, but it's far better and cheaper not to bugger them up in the first place ;)