The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra handling and geometry

Adam2jzzz

Finally got to drive the Supra for the first time this year on the weekend up to japfest.

On the drive back I thought I’d go the fun way home through the twistys.

I couldn’t help but notice that the steering and feed back is quite numb aswell as when hitting a pot hole or bumps etc that you get a lot of shaking through the steering wheel compared to most cars ?

I’m looking for the best and most effective way to get my Supra to handle better. What are people’s recommendations to change aswell as what geometry setups people have to offer ?

You appear to be in Hampshire

There is a place in Buckinghamshire called wheels in motion who will be able to set you car up for you, these is somewhere on the forum and that some ' ideal ' geometry setting are, these are meant to make the car feel very stable.

Also consider that bushes and suspension might be worn

Seen your previous threads, wheels I suspect aren't much of an issue.

2001 car what shocks are on it? plain black stock ones? if so I'd upgrade them as tired ones can make it crashy........yellow bilsteins are a nice upgrade.

Supra's aren't known for their decent steering feedback so what you are feeling there may be 'just the way it is' but the shaking over rough surfaces you should be able to sort.

This is a thread re IV ones

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?313783-*New*-HKS-Hipermax-IV-for-JZA80/page2&highlight=hipermax

Post 19 "Very good, more street able than previous versions without sacrificing handing" which suggests yours were harsher on the street?

May be see if they are adjustable for a start and wind them out to their softest setting? have a play about........I haven't ever had adjustable shocks so can't advise too much, they may just be a bit tired/jaded and not damping like they used to?

What wheels (diameter and offset), tyres and shocks setup do you have?

In my experience the more you move up in size from 17" the more 'clattery' and less compliant the suspension is.

Just put original wheels back on from 18tte dramatic difference, I'm actually amazed comfort quietness just overall handling.

- - - Updated - - -

What wheels (diameter and offset), tyres and shocks setup do you have?

In my experience the more you move up in size from 17" the more 'clattery' and less compliant the suspension is.

Just put original wheels back on from 18tte dramatic difference, I'm actually amazed comfort quietness just overall handling.

This is one of those areas where lightweight wheels will help. Made a huge difference on my IS300 going from stock cast rims to forged alloys. Comfort and grip improved too.

I don’t think they can get much lighter than these ;)