The mkiv Supra Owners Club

breathing heavy

coza

Hi

so running a whifbitz stage 3 catch tank , around October last year I noticed oil out the catch air filter on it must be coming out at some pressure , comp tested everything looked good. the turbo was on its way out so had a feeling that may have caused it, converted the car to single turbo again the car has been comp tested no issues the car has no misfires and runs fine ?

anybody got any ideas ?

or has anyone else had this problem

cheers

A healthy engine should not produce any pressure in the crankcase/head, a compression test will only tell you that static ring seal is good, the rings could be passing pressure under load/boost, is the tank full? and if so is it oil or water/oil emulsion?

Have you removed and blocked the idle/low throttle breather that has the one-way valve in it from the cam cover to the plenum? if this has failed the crankcase will pressurise with boost pressure.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

A healthy engine should not produce any pressure in the crankcase/head, a compression test will only tell you that static ring seal is good, the rings could be passing pressure under load/boost, is the tank full? and if so is it oil or water/oil emulsion?

Have you removed and blocked the idle/low throttle breather that has the one-way valve in it from the cam cover to the plenum? if this has failed the crankcase will pressurise with boost pressure.

the tank is always empty so its coming out the filter with some pressure its like a golden kind of colour like fresh oil. there is no other breathers on the cam covers other then straight to the catch can.

If it was putting out enough pressure there would be oil in the catch tank, I would wash or change the filter and see how long it takes to do the same, the other option is to make a cap for the tank vent and run a tube to a peak hold low pressure gauge and see if there actually is any pressure...which I doubt because given what you have said it just oil vapour, I did some exstasive teasts on the effects of modifing the std breathing system and could get no appreciative readings.