The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra Project from N/A Auto to 1JZ/R154

edviss

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ed. I am Lithuanian living in London for the past 12 years, Cyber Security, Computer Forensics graduate working in a City as a Networking Engineer.

I have been in to cars all my life, owning like 200sx, r33, soarers, and etc.

I have recently sold my 300zx twin turbo manual and LADA 2103

Still owning and modifying slowly my Current Drift project Soarer 1JZ/R154

Ok enough about old stuff, So here is what i have picked up.

Toyota Supra MK4 N/A Auto - 1994

1 lady owner garaged since 2005 as thats when the car got imported.

Car is absolutely rust free underneath is like new, same as in the boot or in the engine bay, I was actually impressed that 25yr old car can look like this, my 300zx 1 owner and 17k original miles had more rust than 220k km supra shell :) Exterior wise red is faded and lacquer is pealing but thats not a big deal. Every original tool, matts and etc is still in the car including some awesome Toyota sat nav/tv/cd double din still in Japanese.

Modification wise it is pretty stock it has:

Front Strut bar

Orginal LSD

18 inch wheels

Aftermarket Backbox

Here is a video of us travelling to pick up the car, also every single upgrade is going to be recorded o this car and uploaded on to youtube and pics taken for the forum.

I can imagine the idea of 1JZ and R154 is not everyones taste, but I do love those engines and they are bit more friendly with my pocket :)

Plans over the summer:

Full re-spray

1JZ NON VVTI

R154 box

Coilovers

FMIC

Alloy Radiator

Air Intake

Wheels

OEM Spats

OEM Sideskirts

Front Lip

Front Seats

Full overhaul of all arms

Thats what I can think of my head atm, I can imagine there will be plenty more little things.

Here is couple of pics from the day I have picked the car up.

Thank you for reading :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice little project there and from your history no doubt you'll get it up to scratch nicely. Don't think anyone will mind about the 1JZ and R154'ness loads of oddities on here, comes with the Supra territory really.

Can I ask where those pics were taken it looks an interesting bay/harbour area that I don't recognise at all.

Nice little project there and from your history no doubt you'll get it up to scratch nicely. Don't think anyone will mind about the 1JZ and R154'ness loads of oddities on here, comes with the Supra territory really.

Can I ask where those pics were taken it looks an interesting bay/harbour area that I don't recognise at all.

Ill try to make it right :)

That place is actually really nice, it was like 2 miles from the place where I bought the car.

Address:

Banks Road

Poole

BH13 7PS

England

Thanks for that, never ventured down there....often in the new forest/Bournemouth area so must check it out one time.

I am definitely going back there in the summer :)

Well played buddy. Looks like it's in great hands!

Was this the one on eBay by any chance? Looked like it was going to be a bargain for somebody.

Yes this Supra was on Ebay for like a day, as I have messaged the seller like 2 hours after posting the advert and I went there next day as we agreed on price.

1jz and r154 with an A02B diff is my set up and I love it 1j’s are great engines :)

I need to lift the car and check what Diff I have got in this :) are you running vvti or non vvti?

• 3 weeks later...

I eventually swapped to a 1JZ and R154 in my track car. Was well impressed with the capabilities of both. I also ran the 4.3 diff ratio from a USDM Soarer NA for even more acceleration. It limited the top speed of the Supra to about 155mph, but for my local track it was perfect.

The car has since been parted out but I still have a nice set of Ozzy dump pipes for the 1JZ stock twins available, which replace the restrictive exhaust elbow. With only this upgrade in place my otherwise stock engine saw a 30bhp increase at 5,500rpm and standard (0.7bar) boost.

The time to fit them is certainly while the engine is out of the bay as access to the turbo system is pretty limited otherwise.

I eventually swapped to a 1JZ and R154 in my track car. Was well impressed with the capabilities of both. I also ran the 4.3 diff ratio from a USDM Soarer NA for even more acceleration. It limited the top speed of the Supra to about 155mph, but for my local track it was perfect.

The car has since been parted out but I still have a nice set of Ozzy dump pipes for the 1JZ stock twins available, which replace the restrictive exhaust elbow. With only this upgrade in place my otherwise stock engine saw a 30bhp increase at 5,500rpm and standard (0.7bar) boost.

The time to fit them is certainly while the engine is out of the bay as access to the turbo system is pretty limited otherwise.

Was it hard to get usdm diff with 4.3 ratio ? My turbos are actually off now as I am installing dump pipe aswell, it is so much work to do that but i can imagine its going to be well worth it :)

Congratulations on the purchase.

Nice to see someone sharing what they are up too, and look forward to your future updates.

Shame about the red soarer though as they are pretty rare cars themselves nowadays.

Thanks mate, there will be weekly updates on this project definitely :)

Red Soarer doesn't look to bad in the picture, but in reality it has a very bad Rust cancer, all floor panels are rusted including sills and rear quarter been repaired with kilos of filler at some point of its life :)

Was it hard to get usdm diff with 4.3 ratio ?

Well...... I found a complete (open) diff for sale at a breakers in Illinois. I rang the owner and asked him if he'd be prepared to split the diff and remove the crownwheel and pinion for shipping (to New York) if I bought the complete diff and paid for his time to dismantle it. He agreed and shipped the parts to an address that a mate of mine gave me. He was going to be in NewYork a few weeks later, visiting relatives, and said he'd bring the diff parts home in his luggage for me.

So it wasn't exactly straightforward but things worth doing rarely are!

I rebuilt my TorSen diff with the new ratio and then, a couple of years later, swapped to a Cusco 1.5 way LSD while retaining the same 4.3:1 gearing.

Oh, and if you hear of anyone else looking for a perfect set of dump pipes let me know. These are the real deal, hand built in Australia and had been fitted to what was eventually to become my 1JZ for a while before the previous owner broke the Soarer. I bought the engine but the pipes were already gone to another buyer. Then I spotted them advertised on Soarerworld and jumped on them.

Well...... I found a complete (open) diff for sale at a breakers in Illinois. I rang the owner and asked him if he'd be prepared to split the diff and remove the crownwheel and pinion for shipping (to New York) if I bought the complete diff and paid for his time to dismantle it. He agreed and shipped the parts to an address that a mate of mine gave me. He was going to be in NewYork a few weeks later, visiting relatives, and said he'd bring the diff parts home in his luggage for me.

So it wasn't exactly straightforward but things worth doing rarely are!

I rebuilt my TorSen diff with the new ratio and then, a couple of years later, swapped to a Cusco 1.5 way LSD while retaining the same 4.3:1 gearing.

Oh, and if you hear of anyone else looking for a perfect set of dump pipes let me know. These are the real deal, hand built in Australia and had been fitted to what was eventually to become my 1JZ for a while before the previous owner broke the Soarer. I bought the engine but the pipes were already gone to another buyer. Then I spotted them advertised on Soarerworld and jumped on them.

I will ask my mate, he is currently running stock downpipe on his 1jz non vvti, maybe he will want one :)

Here goes a first mod on the supra, picked up used but in perfect condition Cusco jdm coilovers. I still need to adjust them as they are sitting in a similar stock height. Went for a drive next day they feels absolutely amazing, no knocks or bangs also nice as stiff :)

I have picked up new wheels for my supra last week, they are Japan Racing JR3 10j all around et25 wheels with semi slicks all around. I will go for a narrower tyres in the front and I need to lower the coilovers aswell, but all of this can be done after the engine conversion :)

1JZ GTE is finally running ! The problem was that I have missmatched one of the starter relay pins, but luckily it was an easy fix and i got it running. I Have also installed aftermarket aluminium radiator and heater control valve.